Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

This thread has been viewed 62 times
  • 1.  Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 07, 2021 10:02 AM
    Hi all!

We experience client disconnects and other strange phenomenons.
    We run ArubaOS 8.5.0.11 in a L2-connected cluster with one MM and two MDs(7220).
    We have around 850 access points in this environment. Mostly AP-305. Couple of AP-315, AP-105, AP-205, AP-204.
    Around 3000-4000 clients.
    We have couple of hundreds VLANs which we separate on the firewalls outside of the aruba system.
    We run clients on different SSID:s and mostly in tunnel mode. Couple of RAPs in with SSID in bridge mode.
    DHCP on the firewalls outside of Aruba environment.
    We have many customers in this system, varying between 5 clients to 500 clients per SSID.

We actually have a few problems. The biggest is that clients get disconnected. And it seems to be a problem at all places, all SSID:s but different days and time.
    Another problem which i think maybe has something to do with it is that some clients which connect to the SSID gets an IP-address from the DHCP-server. However
    no internet traffic is working. I've checked logs and arp-tables. These clients do not get installed in the arp table of the firewalls and hence it says no internet connection on the client. This was not an issue before we configured the cluster,
    with the help of SE.
    Most of the clients works fine but it's different clients all the time which get problems.
    Just this lunch we had one customer who had big problems with this which are running all pay terminals via WIFI. And a school have problems everyday.

I've been in contact with Aruba Tech support couple of times. We have been ordered to ugrade to newer versions and have done that. That did not help at any time. One time we got the tips of disable openflow, we did that and it seemed to help at first but it
    didn't. This last time i got in contact with TAC i wont even get any answers for days and they are not interpret my problems correctly. So having a hard time here with many customers complaining for a long period of time and it's not good for our business.

Thought i would give it a shot here as well.

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
    G AB

• 2.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 07, 2021 11:07 AM
    Did you ask your SE to escalate the issue(s) with TAC?  There is not enough information to know what could be happening from your post.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 07, 2021 12:53 PM

Same as Collin mentioned there are many ways why clients loose a connection and work with TAC support is the best way to get it solved soon as possible. Please escalate the issue TAC or get help form your local Aruba Partner.

When troubleshooting start with collect as much as details possible, no loose ends, use only facts, and work in small steps. In the world of WiFi there are a lot of factors responsible for the connection, some area's:
    1. The client
    2. The access points
    3. The "air"
    4. The configuration
    5. The supporting network infrastructure
    6.  Good designs of all above :)

Start focus on clients. On which radio, which channel, which ssid is it connected, which SNR strength, how often does it reconnect, others in the same room on exact the same timestamp, etc. What about the client drivers, are the up-to-date  or not (80% of all issues), end so on. Does the issue happens on one type of client devices with same operation system and Wi-Fi chipset. Step by step, collect ANYTHING.

On windows run as administrator on the CLI "netsh wlan show wlanreport" can give you great information about the client connection and authentication.

Also take a close look at sniffing 802.11 frames from the air with wireshark, you need some expertise on this but coud be an important move to dive into.

Check all login in the wlan controllers "show ap debug" for example or "show syslog all", you could also set some debug levels for interesting parts. Also look for "DFS RADAR" events "show airmatch all-events" with a mobility master in place.

Be sure have have a good RF design in place with a reportage of it.

Be sure your netwerk have no latency etc., check your network monitor tooling.

Place some Aruba User Experience Insight sensors to monitor the WiFi user experience with backlogging of 30days.

Update your controller firmware to the latest conservative release 8.6.0.13, noted that 8.5.x.x. will go end of support by end of this year.

Replace old fasion AP's like the AP-105. Better get same type of AP's in the same area for optimal roaming.

And so on and so on; The small story here.... Hire somebody that have extended knowledge in troubleshooting, Aruba and or CWNA or Ekahau certified, and put time into troubleshoot any bit and byte.

Hope i can give you some usefull tips, but understand the answer is hard to get from the community because it's to complex for handle on the forum.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 4.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 03:26 AM

All good and valid propoals for troubleshooting.

I would just like to add for your particular case - as you mentioned it all started with the change to make use of the cluster-feature:

hope you do have a backup of the configuration from BEFORE; so it might be helpful to compare the configuration from BEFORE CLUSTERING and NOW.

RM-profiles; features (like k,v,r), etc.would be s.th. to start with

Did your SE "transfer" the old configuration one to one to the new setup ? 

You did not mention what firmware version was used before the clustering; did you switch to a different version as well ? 

Jochem Knoben

• 5.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 08:34 AM
    Hi, yeah I totally understand that you can't give me a simple answer with the information i provided.
    Thank you for all the advices.

It can be any device which get this problem. Both new, old, computer, phone, terminals etc.
    We have done some of these but definitely good advices here.

First, we ran 2 separate controllers on 6.4.x.x. Then SE did transfer some profiles manually to the new controller. We did check differences and all-in-all, most were pretty standard.
    Then we setup a new controller to 8.3.0.6 with one controller. There it mostly worked as before except 2.4Ghz got much much slower than before.
    We did upgrade to 8.5.0.4 right before we enabled the cluster function due to get the RAPs to work in the cluster and then we added the second controller. After this we have had these problems.
    After that we have upgraded to 8.5.0.11 due to some bug fixing.
    We are as well planning to upgrade to 8.6.0.13 but I want to see if we can come up to what the problem is before we upgrade.

Yeah we have couple of config backups.

We had an example today of a client which experienced problems. He could connect to a WPA2-PSK SSID without problem, but the second WPA2-PSK SSID on the same AP he could connect, he got an IP-address but no internet. His colleagues it worked fine for.
    He went in to the right Role: Authenticated. And session table register legit connections. But even if theres sessions there the client have no access to these destinations. A day later it worked.

But yeah, i'll see what TAC come up to. they've got all the user-debug logs from an example and they will do debugging as well when we get a new example where one of our customers can spare us some time.

G AB

• 6.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 09:01 AM
    We are experiencing same problem, since we have upgraded from 6 to 8 we have customers who have problems with 2.4, they lose frames.
    No problem with 5Ghz.
    Often it is apple device that get stuck in 2.4, if they down/up their wifi it's gone ok in 5Ghz.

marc boisis

• 7.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 10:05 AM
    Marc,

Make sure you have band steering on if you want devices to be on 5 GHz rather than 2.4GHz. This will encourage devices to move to 5GHz if they are on 2.4GHz, however in the end its all up to the clients and what the wireless NIC on the device chooses to do. We can make suggestions and try to convince the device to change, but in the end they control what they do.

Alex Mousel

• 8.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 10:15 AM

I have :

Allowed band : all

Allowed 5G radio: all
    Band Steering: enable
    Steering Mode: prefer-5ghz

Do you recommend to switch to force-5ghz ?

marc boisis

• 9.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2021 01:33 PM
    Marc,

Have you opened a technical support (TAC) case?  Not all settings are good for all environments.  The best thing to do if you can is to open a Technical Support (TAC) case, so they can narrow down your issue, replicate it and make suggestions.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 10.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 02:28 PM
    Ok I'm going to open a TAC.

marc boisis

• 11.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 08, 2021 02:57 PM
    Thank you.  Please let us know in a separate thread how things are working out.

• 12.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 08, 2021 10:43 AM
    Hi G AB,

I Understood your issue and have the same experience last year when what was on Aruba 8.6.0.6, our setup was 2x7205 controllers managed as layer-2 cluster by a mobility master and AP-505 access points and i also created the RF design myself, so that wasn't the issue. WiFi-6 SSID was disabled that time. We troubleshoot with TAC and never solved it. It was some more stable when we disable the Layer-2 Cluster and keep client active on one controller. The problem is solved over time with some updates and re-enable the cluster. I believe there is some thing wrong in the firmware of those days but never get the real answer.

Version 8.5.0.11 is from 1 October 2020 and in our case it was 8.6.0.6 (18 september 2020)

When i did extensive test and monitoring i saw that the network was much more stable from 8.6.0.7 and up, and i could reproduce the results time over time. They told me that in 8.6.0.7 the wifi chipset in the access point get also a new firmware and bring improvements and stability.

Here my test results from last year.
    https://twitter.com/Marcel_koedijk/status/1339656755631022081/

Because your software is one year old, please give it a try to upgrade to 8.6.0.13.

Band_Steering on the other end is not a  Industrial Standard (IEEE) and work different on different vendors. On Aruba mostly it does a great job but known that band-steering can also turn against you sometimes. Default i would recommend to turn it on with prefer-5ghz. If clients are more on 2.4Ghz is possible due not disabling the lower basic/transfer rates, channel-powe issues, bad AP placement or mostly always a bad client decision.  Not that the client driver is always the decision maker on this, band-steering only "TRY" to steer the client.  Better look if you can turn of 2.4Ghz when all clients support 5ghz. Or create to SSID with both a own radio attached to keep them separated from each other. Thats my opinion :).

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 13.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 10:00 AM
    Great post, Marcel. I agree that a lot could be done to possibly resolve issues by doing some standardization. Get current wifi 6 APs, 515s are my go to. Start by looking at clients, verify they can see the wireless they need. (If a client can see the signal, the AP can see the client.) Work on devices, I have found most devices don't have the most updated drivers when it comes to NICs. Often times I will have to install and Intel updater just to get the most recent wireless driver for the NIC. Verify the device is getting an IP from the correct pool for whatever VLAN it is on for the wireless network. Overall, lots of troubleshooting that still needs to be done, I would recommend starting with the smallest group that is having issues and work up.

Alex Mousel

• 14.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 11, 2021 03:54 AM
    Hi Marcel,

Thank you for that information! Hopefully these problems got solved on other APs than 505 as well(if it's the same problem).
    However, we will upgrade the system and then we'll see if it solves any problem we experience.
    Still have a support case open and we'll see what and if they'll come up with something.

And an answer to Chris, we are running DHCP on our firewalls. So not Windows or Aruba. Mostly /24 networks.

G AB

• 15.  RE: Client Connectivity loss(long-term problem)

Posted Oct 08, 2021 11:27 AM
    Quick question about the DHCP issues: Are you using a Windows DHCP server and are you using Superscopes?

Chris Knight