Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP515 Wifi Alliance compliance

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  AP515 Wifi Alliance compliance

Posted Sep 28, 2021 03:28 PM
    Hi Team.

Im very confused about this, reading about AP515 certifications is Wi-Fi Alliance compliance but to achieve it, Wi-Fi Alliance says about WPA+TKIP:

"Wi-Fi Alliance prohibits a Wi-Fi CERTIFIED device from offering a "TKIP-only" configuration"

And I see that AP515 rel 8.X is able to configure "WPA Personal (TKIP Encryption only)"

So, Why is this possible? Tehre are something that I´m not understanding.

Cheers!!

EF

------------------------------
    Emilio Felipe S�nchez Jim�nez

• 2.  RE: AP515 Wifi Alliance compliance
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2021 11:35 AM
    What I read in the Wi-Fi Alliance Technical Note TKIP v1.0, after your quote:
    "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices may continue to offer a "TKIP-only" mode through a secondary user interface to support legacy devices, when needed. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices are allowed, but discouraged to offer use of WPA / WPA2 mixed mode on the primary interface."

And some of our customers HAVE to use TKIP for like old hand-scanners. It would be really inconvenient if these are forced to replace those devices. Also, the default settings point to AES, so the admin actively has to change the default. To be honest, I think this recommendation is also a bit obsolete as many client devices will experience issues if you configure TKIP, so it is far from attractive to select it. Note that the Aruba products are targeted for professional use as well, so admins should be considered to understand what they are doing.

Please reach out to your local Aruba SE if you need to have an official answer to this topic.

If the ask is IF the APs are certified, you can check at the Wi-Fi Alliance website, and here are the certificates for the AP-515.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.