Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

This thread has been viewed 52 times
  • 1.  Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

Posted Sep 21, 2021 11:54 AM
    In reading the Known Issues section of the 6.5.4.20 AOS upgrade I see these AOS-200084 & AOS-204429 affecting AOS version 6.5.4.20 and it looks like the known issue has been around for quite a while. I opened a TAC case (5358562989) and they haven't found information after "several days of looking" and asked them to escalate the case to engineering. Is there a place where this information should be readily available. It is concerning to me as we have many AP-305 in our installation.

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Job Cacka

• 2.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2021 01:00 PM
    It would seem that the only way to get away from this bug is to upgrade to 8.x

EDIT: It seems like it was discovered in 8.4.0.4 and they are not going back to 6.x (which is discontinued) to fix it.

It is fixed in 8.3.0.13, 8.5.0.10, 8.6.0.5

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

Posted Sep 21, 2021 02:40 PM
      |   view attached
    My original search was because We upgraded Airwave to 8.2.13.0 in order to fix a recent RCE vulnerability. In the short term should I be concerned that the Airwave documentation "AirWave 8.2.13.0 Supported Infrastructure Devices" does not support the controller with the version of AOS installed in the system?

It seems like you are saying I should avoid upgrading AOS 6.5.x.x to 6.5.4.13 or higher. The known issues gives little guidance. Does the rebooting AP occur randomly, or in certain configurations? What is the frequency of reboots? Weekly? Daily? Hourly?

Also, of the three fixed versions which should I migrate to? "8.3.0.13, 8.5.0.10, 8.6.0.5"

Page 2 of the document attached seems to indicate either 6.5.4.16 (which I think is an error) or 8.7.0.0 is recommended for that version of airwave.

Thanks,
    Job Cacka

• 4.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2021 03:01 PM
    Ideally you would contact your Aruba Sales engineer to make sure you are making the right move, because there could be many considerations here.  I would not upgrade from 6.x to 8.x to fix a bug that occurs occasionally.  The notation of it being an "existing" issue is because it potentially could happen in the version of code in the notes.

You should be able to type "show crashinfo" to see if any APs have crashes, currently.  As long as Airwave is already patched for your security issues, it should support any of the older APs that you are running, so no worries there.  Were you looking to upgrade AOS only fix that existing bug or do you have other reasons?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

Posted Sep 21, 2021 04:49 PM
    The Airwave 8.2.13.0 documentation says AOS 6.5.4.16 & 8.7.0.0 is validated for my 7030 controllers and AP-304 & AP-305 access points.

I was looking to upgrade AOS to bring it up to a more compatible patch level to better interact with Airwave 8.2.13.0 and based upon that documentation. Our controllers are currently at AOS 6.5.4.11 and our implementation has been stable prior to the Airwave upgrade. Before I moved to the latest version of AOS I read the known issues and found the long standing issue introduced in 6.5.4.13, and then when I asked about it, I did not really get a firm answer that made me feel an upgrade would be stable.

From what you are saying it seems like 6.5.4.x is a dead end long term for my implementation (with many AP-305) and to move forward I would need to migrate to a fixed version of 8. You suggested three options which aren't listed as validated versions in the Airwave supported hardware guide. So the question now does AOS 8.7.0.0 or higher implement the fix that you suggested or does it introduce additional problems. I have looked but do not see where that information would be listed. There seems to be a missing piece of information. Where does the AOS 8.7.0.0 begin from?

Thanks,
    Job Cacka

• 6.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2021 05:17 PM
    Your version of Airwave is good and will support your version of 6.x nicely.  Since your installation is stable, do not upgrade; just monitor for the possible crash (type show crashinfo once in awhile).  6.5.4.x will not receive any new hardware support or features, but if it works for you that is the best thing.

It would seem that the bug is fixed in 8.3.0.13, 8.5.0.10, 8.6.0.5, but it is not worth making the jump from 6.5.x to 8.x if you system is stable.  There is a chance that the bug is rare and not prevalent, since it was only discovered in 8.4.x.  

I would:

(1) Monitor your controller for AP crashes by using "show crashinfo".

It is highly possible you don't have anything to worry about.  Upgrading from 6.5.4.x to 8.x is a big deal and requires a decent amount of planning and disruption.  Not worth it for a bug that might not be prevalent.

• 7.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

Posted Sep 21, 2021 06:48 PM
    "It is highly possible you don't have anything to worry about. Upgrading from 6.5.4.x to 8.x is a big deal and requires a decent amount of planning and disruption. Not worth it for a bug that might not be prevalent."

Thanks for the advice! What makes it worth the migration?

Thanks,
    Job Cacka

• 8.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2021 10:03 PM
    New features or hardware would force you to upgrade.  8.x is a different paradigm, and you would have a learning curve to manage it.  If things are working the way you want them to, there is no rush...

If you look at any of the 8.x release notes it would give you an idea.

• 9.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

Posted Sep 21, 2021 06:57 PM
    show crashinfo​

is not an option in 6.5.4.11

(Controller-1) # show ?
    aaa                     Show AAA Information
    acl                     Dump ace entries for a single ACL
    activate-service-whit.. Activate Whitelist Service Profile
    adp                     ADP related commands
    airgroup                AirGroup information
    airgroupservice         Show AirGroup services
    amon                    AMON
    ap                      Show AP information
    ap-crash-transfer       Show AP crash transfer configuration
    ap-group                Show an AP group
    ap-lacp-striping-ip     Show the AP LACP LMS map information
    ap-name                 Show an AP name
    app                     Application
    arp                     ARP information
    aruba-central           Aruba Central service
    audit-trail             Show Audit Trail Log
    auth-tracebuf           Trace Buffer for Authentication Events
    banner                  Display the Message of the Day banner.
    bannervia               Display the VIA login banner message.
    ble_relay               Display ble relay status
    block-redirect-url      Show redirect url for blocked content
    boot                    Display boot parameters
    branch                  Branch controller
    branch-config-group     Branch config group
    branch-dhcp-pool        Branch DHCP Pool
    bulkedit                Show Bulk Edit Information
    clock                   Display the system clock
    cluster-config          Show Cluster Multi-Master VPN configuration
    cluster-switches        Show Cluster Switches connected
    command-mapping         Show mapping between 3.0 and pre-3.0 commands
    committed-global-conf.. Show committed global configuration
    configuration           Show saved configuration
    control-plane-security  Control Plane Security profile
    controller-ip           Show controller IP information
    controller-ipv6         Show controller IPv6 information
    country                 Show controller's country
    cp-bwcontracts          Show CP bw contracts
    cp-stats                CP queue stastiscs
    cpuload                 Display CPU Load
    crypto                  Show crypto configuration
    crypto-local            Show crypto-local configuration
    database                Database management
    datapath                Datapath statistics

Thanks,
    Job Cacka

• 10.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

Posted Sep 22, 2021 10:43 AM
    I suggest avoiding 8.7.1.5.   We are having global issues with it right now after upgrading a few sites for patching.  8.7.1.2 was stable for us but not patched.  We are going to roll back to 8.6.0.13 which is a stable patched release and hope it fixes our issues.  BTW roll back was advised by TAC.

Alan Scott

• 11.  RE: Controller AOS upgrade. Known Issues

Posted Sep 22, 2021 12:14 PM
    Thanks for the advice Alan that is valuable information.

Thanks,
    Job Cacka