Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Campus to RAP Converting Problem

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Campus to RAP Converting Problem

Posted Jul 06, 2021 12:42 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I have a virtual mobility controller. And i am living converting problem on this controller. 1200 devices working on it as RAP. But some AP207 devices don't turning to RAP from CAMPUS mode. I tried somethings like below;

-Factory default setting for AP
    -Converting from Instant Mode to Controller Base RAP mode (I got VPN error during this action)
    -I used global certificate instead self-signed
    -I removed ap's from whitelists and tried

But didn't change anything. I am using all AP's as RAP and i am using self-signed certificate. 1200 AP's working already and i have 1500 device licence. I am living this problem random devices. Some AP's lived this problem after power outage. I am waiting your valuable comments. 

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Ali Göze

• 2.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 07, 2021 04:20 AM
    How exactly are they not converted, do you re-provision them as a RAP and these appear back as a Campus AP? You've checked all the obvious (such as whitelist etc). Do you have enough IPs available in your RAP IP Pool? Is there any firewalls causing an issue? Do you currently have any AP-207 functioning as RAPs?

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

Posted Jul 09, 2021 02:46 AM
    I changed ap's mode to rap from campus on controller. Ap was reboot first time and came up as a RAP AP. But in 1 minitue its making a restart again and its gove a certificate initializing error and opened as campus ap.
    I checked whitelist etc.
    I have enough IP's in RAP pool
    I tried in same network with controller but i have same problem.
    I am using AP-207 as RAP already.
    Thanks with regards.

Ali Göze

• 4.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

Posted Jul 13, 2021 01:01 AM
      |   view attached
    I checked all obvius. Firewalli IP, whitelist etc. I am getting an error on ap during rap converting restart proccess. You can find it in this post.
    Thanks

Ali Göze

• 5.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2021 10:33 AM
    The reason/answer probably is in the controller logs. Check 'show log all 1000' to see the 1000 most recent log entries on your controller. There check if you see indications of the RAP trying to connect, and if it is not check the console of the AP, if it is, there likely is an indication. As suggested, running out of IPs for the vpn-pool is a good candidate or issues with allowing the APs. Both should show up as events. I hope you use the built-in factory certificate (TPM), not a self-signed one, as self-signed will probably not work; but I would expect it not to work for any of your APs.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

Posted Jul 13, 2021 01:07 AM
      |   view attached
    Dear Herman,

Thank you for your post. I checked the logs, and there was only one thing that caught my eye. AP has the same log on it. Do you have any idea about this error log? The error log is as follows;

" Failed to initialize certficate. Making into a campus AP. "

Thank you.

Ali Göze

• 7.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2021 03:14 AM
    Ah, could it be that you have a VMC, not a hardware controller?

VMC does not have a TPM and requires some additional steps to get RAPs to work. Check this link to the documentation, or better work with your Aruba partner or Aruba Support to get this resolved.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 8.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

Posted Jul 13, 2021 08:58 AM
    I tried a global authority certificate like at this link. But i lived same problem and getting same error message. I am living this problem on some AP-207 devices for now. I am working with an Aruba Partner and Aruba support but unfortunately i think this problem will not solved...
    If you have any other idea about this case please write here for everyone.

Ali Göze

• 9.  RE: Campus to RAP Converting Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2021 04:32 AM
    What is the type of controller that you have?

If you have an open support case and feel there will be no solution, please escalate the case. Your partner can assist with that. Without having a look at the broader design, having access to the configuration, it's highly unlikely that you will get an answer here.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------