Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I be sure that my aruba-master option 43 is no longer used?

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Can I be sure that my aruba-master option 43 is no longer used?

Posted Jan 13, 2022 04:41 PM
    We are trying to set up a DHCP option 43 to boot VOIP phones, and when we got into the configuration we found that it was already set with a value. Unlike the VOIP phone setting, which is a complex string of keys and values separated by semicolons, the setting is simply an IP address.

According to some (old) documentation, the IP address in question -- 10.10.31.201 -- is the old value of "aruba-master". Now according to our DNS server, the current value of aruba-master is 10.10.31.209. And 10.10.31.201 is shut down and doesn't answer pings.

I think that this means that we used to do the magical APs-figure-themselves-out via Option 43 (in connection with Option 60 maybe?) but we have long since migrated to using DNS and aruba-master is not at that old IP specified in the old Option 43.

Can we safely conclude that Option 43 is not in use by anything on the aruba side of things and can we take over Option 43 and use it for the VOIP phone magical string? Or have I missed something that I should check?

------------------------------
    Cathy Fasano

• 2.  RE: Can I be sure that my aruba-master option 43 is no longer used?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 13, 2022 04:46 PM
    If the aruba-master resolves to your current IP at every one of your locations, then I would say its safe to remove the DHCP options.

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Can I be sure that my aruba-master option 43 is no longer used?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2022 05:22 PM
    Chose any APs in the affected subnets and run the command below to see how they discover their controllers.

(Babarella2) *#show ap consolidated-provision info ap-name <name of ap>

ap name: Centra-335
    ipv4 address type: dynamic
    ipv4 address: 192.168.1.199
    ipv4 netmask: 255.255.255.0
    ipv4 gateway: 192.168.1.1
    ipv4 lease: 86400
    ipv4 dhcp server: 192.168.1.1
    ipv4 dns server: 192.168.1.1, 0.0.0.0
    master preference: IPv4
    Protocol in Use: IPv4(CONFIG)
    master: 192.168.1.7
    master discover type: ADP <-------------------
    previous lms: 0.0.0.0
    lms addrs [0]: 192.168.1.233​

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 4.  RE: Can I be sure that my aruba-master option 43 is no longer used?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 13, 2022 05:27 PM
    Yes this is a great validation method to check how your APs have been getting their controller address :)

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 5.  RE: Can I be sure that my aruba-master option 43 is no longer used?

Posted Jan 14, 2022 01:18 PM
    AHA! Learned several new things by asking the question!

I used cjoseph's command on several APs and they are all using ADP. I have a fairly simple, not-large, controller-based network running 8.3, and found this explanation Enable Controller Discovery (arubanetworks.com) and if I'm following, then everyone-uses-ADP is exactly what we want and expect.

Looking at the flowchart, it looks like DHCP discovery is tried before ADP (and ADP before DNS). In our case, we've got the old Option 43 setup pointing to the old aruba-master that was at 10.10.31.201. And 10.10.31.201 is long gone. Given that the DHCP comes before ADP in the fail-through, I'm thinking that the ONLY things that could come out of that old DHCP Option 43 setting are all BAD things!

I think that means that we should go replace the old obsolete aruba DHCP Option 43 settings with our VOIP phone magic string just to get the old setting out of there, right?

Cathy Fasano