Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cluster Enhanced Multicast Proxy

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Cluster Enhanced Multicast Proxy

Posted Jul 19, 2021 01:25 PM
    I've scoured the Internet looking for more detailed information on the topic of "Cluster Enhanced Multicast Proxy." I'm trying to find a detailed guide on how to configure this, but I can't find anything. 

Do you just configure igmp proxy on the appropriate md interfaces, and the cluster enhancement automatically works? Suppose I have a VLAN defined for user access, do I just configure igmp proxy on that VLAN on all mds in the cluster? 

What about the value for multicast VLAN in the cluster profile? What happens if it is left at default (0)? Are there reasons to change it from the default?

------------------------------
    Mark Williams

• 2.  RE: Cluster Enhanced Multicast Proxy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 20, 2021 02:09 AM
    You would set igmp-proxy on the MD interfaces.  Note, this does require those interfaces to have an ip address first.

The mcast-vlan parameter in the lc-cluster profile is a necessary part of it to work when clustering is enabled.  Unfortunately to change that parameter, you need to disable cluster on the nodes first, then change your lc-cluster profile and then reenable cluster on the node.  Use caution though as this process can be disruptive.

Michael Clarke (Aruba)

• 3.  RE: Cluster Enhanced Multicast Proxy

Posted Jul 21, 2021 11:18 PM
    I've been told that the mcast VLAN parameter is not required for it to work right. 

What I've observed is that the cluster enhance multicast is related to the relationship between the UAC and the AAC. Suppose there's a two controller cluster with md1 and md2. Both have a VLAN with igmp proxy configured. A wireless client connects to the cluster and gets assigned to md1 as it's UAC, but is connected to an AP that has md2 as its AAC. 

When the client subscribes to a multicast group, you would expect that the igmp proxy IP that would show up on the upstream switch is the IP on md1, but it's not what shows up. The IP for md2 shows up in the upstream switch. I think that's what the "enhancement" is. The cluster knows that the mcast traffic has to be tunneled to the AP via the AAC, so the AAC subscribes to the group instead of the UAC. 

Mark Williams

• 4.  RE: Cluster Enhanced Multicast Proxy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2021 06:06 AM
    yes, you got it.  It was too early in the morning for a proper technical explanation when I replied ;-)

Michael Clarke (Aruba)