Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients can't connect to SSID

This thread has been viewed 45 times
  • 1.  Clients can't connect to SSID

Posted Jan 28, 2022 04:31 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently having problems with a Wireless Network. Randomly clients can't connect to the SSIDs and the problem is only resolve restarting the APs. We have around 600 APs and is only happening (from what I've seen) with the exterior ones (AP-365). I disabled 802.11k, high efficiency in all SSIDs and DFS channels. Max clients per SSID is the default one 64 clients and the average connected clients are 30-40. 

Can someone help me please. Can't find anything relevant and its hard to troubleshoot because it happens randomly. The APs aren't getting disconnected from the controller. 

Using 7220 mobility controller (Standalone) with 8.8.0.1. version.

------------------------------
    Diego Joubert

• 2.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

MVP
    Posted Jan 28, 2022 05:27 PM
    More details needed to point you in right direction.
    What type of SSIDs? Open? 802.1x?
    If 802.1x what are you seeing in the logs there?
    Can clients associate/authenticate, but cant pass traffic? Or they cant even associate/authenticate?
    Once an AP is detected exhibiting the issue, does it happen for ALL the clients attaching to that one AP?
    Done any packet captures to dig in deeper?

• 3.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

Posted Jan 28, 2022 05:49 PM
    We have open and wpa2 personal. Both of them failed and with differents VLANs. All SSIDs are bridge. They can associate but no IP assignment. Don't know if existing clients get affected or only new clients trying to connect. Haven't done a packet capture because it happens ​randomly.

Diego Joubert

• 4.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2022 05:57 PM
    Have you tried them with tunnel?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

Posted Jan 28, 2022 06:05 PM
    No I haven't but must use bridge by requirement. You think it might be an IP problem from the DHCP server and the switch or what? version bug?

Diego Joubert

• 6.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2022 06:09 PM
    You should double check that the access point the user is connected to has the VLANs trunked to it.  Large Scale Bridged mode is much more difficult to deploy and troubleshoot and is not recommended.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

Posted Jan 28, 2022 06:15 PM
    It has the VLAN trunked because when I reboot the AP it function normally. I might try tunnel mode and convince the manager. What benefits I get from tunnel mode rather than bridge?

Diego Joubert

• 8.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2022 07:05 PM
    The benefit of tunnel mode is that each access point can just sit on an access port, so you don' t have to configure 600 physical switchports.  You would only have to manage the trunk between the controller and the layer 3 switch that it is connected to.  An access point can have an ip address, on any vlan as long as it can find the controller, and the users connected to those access points, can roam to any access point, because traffic is tunneled back to a single point; the controller.

Having tunnel model makes adding access points as simple a plugging them in, vs. having to configure each port that an access point is connected to.

EDIT: In addition, there are features available on tunnel mode that are not available on bridge mode.  

• 9.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

Posted Jan 29, 2022 12:33 AM
    That sounds awesome. My only concern is that we have 1 Gb link from the Mobility Controller to the Switch core. In this case we might need to change the SFP to support 10 GB because I guess that the link will be saturated managing traffic from 600 APs. Anyway Thanks CJ.

Diego Joubert

• 10.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2022 04:34 AM
    You have the option of combining several ports into a port channel to increase your bandwidth between the controller and the layer 3 switch

• 11.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

Posted Jan 31, 2022 09:00 PM
    Yes. I'll do that to increase bandwidth. Thanks Joseph for the help.

Diego Joubert

• 12.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

MVP
    Posted Jan 28, 2022 06:13 PM

I'd dig into why its not seeming to get an IP. (based on it connecting to AP but "no internet" I'm leaning towards that being the root issue)

Could be issue with switch as you suggest. Anything change on switches recently? Upgrades? Config changes? As cjoseph said, check your vlans too. Check switch logs too, see any invalid arp errors?

Anything change with your dhcp server? Upgrades? location? uplinks? configs? etc. (if dhcp is working for other clients on other APs on other switches, then thats pointing to the switches providing uplinks for your outdoor APs)

• 13.  RE: Clients can't connect to SSID

Posted Jan 28, 2022 06:20 PM
    I don't have access to the Switch and DHCP Server but I can be in touch with that department so can get a better understanding of the problem. Thanks

Diego Joubert