Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba OS Questions

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Aruba OS Questions

Posted Oct 04, 2021 01:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Aruba Wireless and have some questions about the Aruba OS. Let's put you guys in context. I'm implementing a Wireless network with Aruba APs. I have already implemented 60 Aruba IAP (without controler, running version 8.6.0.2). Next week I need to provision those 60 AP to a mobility controller + 300 new AP. My concern is, I don't know what version the controller will have.

Can I provision the APs running on a different version of the controller, or the Mobility Controller will push the new OS version to the AP when converting from IAP to Campus Mode AP??

Which is the best ARUBA OS version to date (All the APs are 303h, 305 and 365?

Should I upgrade the cluster and the controller separately and then convert the APs

------------------------------
    Diego Joubert

• 2.  RE: Aruba OS Questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2021 02:04 PM
    Can I provision the APs running on a different version of the controller, or the Mobility Controller will push the new OS version to the AP when converting from IAP to Campus Mode AP??  The mobility controller just needs to be running a minimum version of ArubaOS that is supported by your access points (303h, 305, 365).  The minimum version is printed on the datasheet for each access point.  Yes, the mobility controller will push the version that it is running to APs that you convert.

It all depends.  The proper version is mandatory for hardware support, but what version you upgrade to will depend on what features you want to deploy.  The latest stable version that supports your hardware is typically a good first move.

Conversion of APs is a single step:  Doing a convert will convert all APs in the Instant cluster to the version of code on the Mobility controller.  It is essential that you confirm that the version on the Mobility controller will support all of your AP hardware.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Aruba OS Questions

Posted Oct 05, 2021 09:42 AM
    My recommendation would be to stick to releases that Aruba marks as conservative rather than Standard.  The reason for not doing that would be that you need a feature that a newer standard version provides.  For example if you had a 503h the minimum controller software that supports it is 8.7.1.0 and currently there's no conservative release of 8.7, so you'd have to run a standard release.  With 300 series access points, you can run a conservative release that supports them.

Adam Forsyth

• 4.  RE: Aruba OS Questions

Posted Oct 11, 2021 09:17 PM
    Thanks I went with 8.8.0.1. I read the release notes to avoid any problems.

Diego Joubert

• 5.  RE: Aruba OS Questions

Posted Oct 11, 2021 09:14 PM
    Thank you so much. It was pretty easy, as you toll me. the mobility push the firmware to the APs.

Diego Joubert