Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rule-of-thumb number of maximum number of simultaneous downloads for AP image preload

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Rule-of-thumb number of maximum number of simultaneous downloads for AP image preload

Posted Jun 11, 2021 10:17 AM

The default "10" for the maximum number of simultaneous downloads for AP image preload has been there since the 3xxx controller days... what do people use normally these days as a reasonable number? I know there are a lot of variables regarding controller model, client load, etc... but say you have Aruba 7240XMs and preload the AP code after-hours, what would be a reasonable maximum number of simultaneous AP preloads? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jose Perez

• 2.  RE: Rule-of-thumb number of maximum number of simultaneous downloads for AP image preload

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2021 02:42 PM
    The rule of thumb is to leave it at the defaults.  If you can afford to do an AOS upgrade off-house off-hours, just do a regular upgrade without a preload.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Rule-of-thumb number of maximum number of simultaneous downloads for AP image preload

Posted Jun 11, 2021 03:06 PM
    Ok... it always makes me nervous to have 1000+ APs hitting the controller for an upgrade if I don't preload, though.

Jose Perez

• 4.  RE: Rule-of-thumb number of maximum number of simultaneous downloads for AP image preload

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2021 04:07 PM
    That has never been a problem in the past.  The reason why preloads are limited, it is because you are transferring files when a full load of clients are being served.  A regular upgrade is after a controller has been rebooted, so there are few functions or clients on the controller at the time.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.