Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP: Use ETH0 port as Access Port

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  RAP: Use ETH0 port as Access Port

Posted Nov 12, 2020 11:10 AM
    Is it possible to provide the ETH0 port as access ports for clients or printers on a RAP with a 4G WiFi uplink? In the documents of Aruba I found after a long search the hint that the ETH0 can only be used as uplink unless the AP establishes the uplink via MESH.

Image:   Aruba AOS 8.6.0.4

The complete profile for the ETH0 port is configured and provisioned for the respective RAP group. As soon as a device is connected, the ETH0 port will come up and is also indicated as active by the controller. But the client does not get a connection, the configured VLAN is not active on the ETH0 port.

wired-ap-profile on eth0:
      wired-ap-enable
      trusted
      switchport access vlan 35

We use the same configuration for a second RAP group via the ETH1 port. Here only RAP with two ETH ports are assigned. Clients or printers can be connected here without any problems and get the IP address from the assigned VLAN via DHCP.

Christoph

• 2.  RE: RAP: Use ETH0 port as Access Port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2020 01:24 PM
    I have never seen that done (using eth0 for wired traffic), but are you trying to tunnel all the wired user traffic from eth0 back to a controller or are you trying to bridge it locally to another switch?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: RAP: Use ETH0 port as Access Port

Posted Nov 13, 2020 05:16 AM
    Hi

I'm trying to tunnel user traffic to the controller via ETH0 using the 4G uplink (4G USB stick).

I am aware that normally an access point with two ports must be used for this case. If it is a customer request, the technical documentation is not so informative whether this is possible or not.

Christoph

Christoph Rizzo

• 4.  RE: RAP: Use ETH0 port as Access Port

Posted Nov 27, 2020 08:03 AM

According to TAC Support the configuration is possible.

The Link Priority Cellular and Link Priority Ethernet in the Provisioning Profile should be adjusted so that the connection can be established without problems over a 4G connection.

The configuration can be done via the GUI or in the CLI in the Provisioning Profile.

CLI Example:

(host) (config) #ap provisioning-profile default

(host) (Provisioning profile "default") #link-priority-cellular <[0=min; 255=max]>

(host) (Provisioning profile "default") #link-priority-ethernet <[0=min; 255=max]>

(host) (Provisioning profile "default") #write memory

I have set the following values

(host) (Provisioning profile "default") #link-priority-cellular 100

(host) (Provisioning profile "default") #link-priority-ethernet 0

Christoph Rizzo

• 5.  RE: RAP: Use ETH0 port as Access Port

Posted Dec 04, 2020 04:41 AM
    Hi Christoph,

did it work for you? I worked on this with TAC about two years ago and they told me it wasn't possible.

Milan Knizek

• 6.  RE: RAP: Use ETH0 port as Access Port

Posted Dec 29, 2021 03:05 PM
    Had not worked at the time I wrote the post as indicated by the TAC. During the whole troubleshooting process, other problems arose in connection with the Mobility Master/Mobility Controller Cluster/RAP with 4G uplink where, depending on the firmware version, it was from moderate to impossible to establish a connection from the RAP to the Mobility Controller Cluster via 4G.

After escalation of the case regarding the connection problem of the RAP's via 4G to a controller cluster, it was determined that a bug is present which was only fixed with the firmware version 8.7.1.7 to 95%. The fix is not yet included in the latest versions of 8.6, 8.8 and 8.9.

Only with this version it was possible in my case to establish a stable connection from a RAP via 4G to a controller cluster without any problems. Currently there is still the problem that with an AP325 in the connection variant only two SSID and one Wired VLAN are possible. As soon as a third SSID is added, the RAP cannot fully establish the connection. So far, however, this only affects the AP325.

Christoph Rizzo