Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba VIA VPN upgrade to AOS8

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Aruba VIA VPN upgrade to AOS8

Posted Apr 01, 2022 10:06 AM
    Hello Folks, 

I'm working currently on a migration project for VIA, 
    I have 2x AOS6 controllers used to serve APs and provide Client based VPN "VIA" for some remote workers. 
    the plan is to upgrade to AOS8 with MMs. re-built the exact same exisitng configuration in the AOS8 envirement, but the IP schema of controllers will change. 
    Migrating the APs is pretty straight forward, but for VIA users I'm wondering after I change the DNS A record for the public URL, do all remote workers need to clean their VPN profile and re-download it from scratch?

• 2.  RE: Aruba VIA VPN upgrade to AOS8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2022 01:38 PM
    Your users probably will have to do that.  You should try to manage a migration, where users have access to both environments (old and new).  A hot cutover will not give you much chance to troubleshoot an orderly migration.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Aruba VIA VPN upgrade to AOS8

Posted Apr 04, 2022 08:21 AM
    Hello Joseph, 

Thanks for your reply,
    To access both environments (old&new) then I should have a new VPN URL that will point to the AOS8 environment. which means, remote users will need to add a new VPN profile ...etc. 
    this will create a lot of help desk tickets, as the number of remote employees is pretty high. 

with migration to AOS8, do you think there is no chance for a seamless method with zero touche from the remote user end?

• 4.  RE: Aruba VIA VPN upgrade to AOS8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2022 02:50 PM
    There is no chance for a seamless method, because you will also probably need a new client.  I would create an entirely new AOS 8 environment and test it first to determine your real options with your VIA VPN migration.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Aruba VIA VPN upgrade to AOS8

Posted Apr 20, 2022 09:32 AM
    Got it - so I think my schedule should content a a niification for all vpn user and instractions on how to refresh the vpn profil. 

Another question here please is: the 2x MDs will form a cluster, want to know if the vpn user will load balance accros the cluster automatically, or there is a specific configuration to be made: 
    Please note that via vpn user are pointing to a public IP/fqdn, and we are doing port forward to the internal cluster VIP.

• 6.  RE: Aruba VIA VPN upgrade to AOS8

Posted Apr 26, 2022 08:32 AM
    wanted to check if there is an answer for that, 
    Does VIA users will load the balance automatically across the cluster? UAC, S-UAC is supported ? or should I use my VRRP, and thus just one controller will handle all VPN users?