Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Discover Mobility Controller and Aruba AP by Mobility Master

• 1.  Discover Mobility Controller and Aruba AP by Mobility Master

Posted 20 days ago
    Is it possible to provision the Mobility Controller and Aruba AP on Layer 2 network then transfer each devices on their respective layer 3 network. (Layer 3 network has a route to Mobility Master)?

I am aware that this provisioning can be done by DNS or DHCP option 43 but I want to check if I can provision them on layer 2 before sending them to their own networks/subnets.

Thank you

------------------------------
    Jimmy Gabales Jr

• 2.  RE: Discover Mobility Controller and Aruba AP by Mobility Master

Posted 20 days ago
    You can indeed. Each AP will upon boot follow the Master Discovery process in the following order, if one fails it will move on to the next.

- Statically (e.g via a console Cable).
    - DHCP Options 43 + 60 (Layer 3 discovery..)
    - ADP (Layer 2 discovery...)
    - DNS / aruba-master (Layer 3 discovery...)

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_85_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/access-points/enab-ctrl-disc.htm?Highlight=master%20discovery

If you wish for the Mobility Controller to discovery the Mobility Master/Conductor you will need to either manually configure the MC or use ZTP.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/browse/articles/blogviewer?blogkey=c8cbdf9c-64a0-4c0f-88d5-8e81d19da7ee

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: Discover Mobility Controller and Aruba AP by Mobility Master

Posted 20 days ago
    Thank you for you response Craig.

Just to clarify, if I provision the Access Point to a mobility controller on the layer 2 network and transfer it to a different VLAN, the AP can still be seen on the controller? A client came from another wireless vendor and this was how they provision the access points. They do not use DHCP option 43 or the DNS, they just use layer 2 discovery then transfer the devices on different VLAN/subnet.

Thank you

Jimmy Gabales Jr

• 4.  RE: Discover Mobility Controller and Aruba AP by Mobility Master

Posted 19 days ago
    You just need to ensure that when the AP boots it has the ability to use one of the Master Discovery mechanisms to locate a controller it will do so and obtain its configuration. Once the AP has booted and located a controller to obtain its configuration, you can then configure a static controller IP if there is no DHCP / DNS options available in the new L3 subnet. 

Obviously, if you assign a static IP to the AP or anything like this it may cause a conflict/management overhead if the solution is to scale.

Craig Syme