Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

mixing AC aps and AX APs

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  mixing AC aps and AX APs

Posted Aug 16, 2021 11:12 AM
    I would like to know if this is not recommended?
    In the case of 802.11n and 802.11ac is not recommended.
    You would need at least to group all AC APs on one floor and 802.11n APs on another floor or something like that.

What about AX and AC APs? It is the same situation right? 

• 2.  RE: mixing AC aps and AX APs

Posted Aug 16, 2021 12:25 PM
    cdelarosa,
    You can mix use of the ac and ax APs, but I recommend adjusting your profiles to turn off the ax (HE) features. This makes all of the APs look similar in capabilities to each other.
    Thanks,
    Brad

------------------------------
    Brad

• 3.  RE: mixing AC aps and AX APs

Posted Aug 17, 2021 10:18 AM
    Hi guys,

I would like to know why it is not a good idea to mix .11n and .11ac APs, or why to turn off .11ax features when mixing .11ac and .11ax APs. As I know, the APs will use n, ac or ax capabilities on a per client basis, so clients with different capabilities can coexist in the same room. Is this not recommended because the protection frames will reduce network performance?

Regards,
    Julian

• 4.  RE: mixing AC aps and AX APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2021 10:19 AM
    If you have client or performance issues, it is much more difficult to troubleshoot with different phy types on your APs.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: mixing AC aps and AX APs

Posted Sep 28, 2021 02:15 PM
    Hello Joseph 
    I got a question for you.
    If a device its a 802.11ac,  and its connecting to a  802.11ax AP
    It will do the backward compatible so the client can work correctly as an ac client right?
    That divece specifically will have issues roaming also in a mixed enviroment  of  802.11ac APs and 802.11ax ?

I can understand if its a 802.11ax  device  connecting  in a mixed enviroment because of the different phy, it would want to stay in the 802.11ax AP because its faster but in the example im giving you up, it would still have issues?
    Could you explain me this a little please? im interested in knowing this scenario in particular i mean technically speaking 

Thanks

• 6.  RE: mixing AC aps and AX APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2021 05:27 PM
    I don't think in the course of a normal day, you will have issues deploying ax and ac APs together.  Looking into the future, you want to ensure that features you enable are available to all of your clients when you enable them across the board.  Looking into the future,  on the roaming/compatibility side, you want to ensure that all of your AP devices are the same, so that if a client device has a problem with a specific type of AP it will be easier to track down and troubleshoot.

If you look through the user guide, there are some specific features that are only available on specific APs or specific AP chipsets, and you just want to avoid those limitations in general.

Deploying the same type of access point in areas is more of a good strategy for the future, instead of something that you must do.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: mixing AC aps and AX APs

Posted Sep 28, 2021 11:57 PM
    macOS for example will prefer 802.11ax APs so it'll be a sticky client if you have 11ac and 11ax mixed in the same area https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT206207
    Also newer APs tend to have better radios so might hear clients better which will cause differences in coverage.

James Andrewartha