Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-505 syslog - isc_test_check

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  AP-505 syslog - isc_test_check

Posted Jul 29, 2021 11:57 AM
    Hi all,

about two weeks ago i've switched my Unifi APs to Aruba and i'm pretty happy with how everything works right now, especially the IDS/IPS features are a real benefit, though there's still a lot of fine tuning needed. The APs have no internet access.

Besides sending SNMPv3 traps to a monitoring backend, i also use a central syslog station and here i receive the following message exactly every 5 minutes:

<WARN> AP: ... <1.2.3.4 00:11:22:33:44:55> isc_test_check: activate access disabled

CLI shows:

# sh activate

IAP MAC Address :00:11:22:33:44:55
    IAP Serial Number :ABCDEFG
    Cloud Activation Key :
    Activate Server :device.arubanetworks.com
    Activate Status :admin-disabled-by-cli
    Provision interval :0 minutes

The 5 minute interval matches the following lines in the CLI

AP # sh provision state | include Mins
    Interval of provision rule check (Mins) :5
    Next round of provision remains (Mins) :1
    Max provision interval (Mins) :10080

When the "Next round of provision remains (Mins)" hits 0, the syslog message above appears

As this spams my log and also shows up as <WARN>, i wonder if it's sth i have to pay attention to or - if not - how it can be deactivated.

Thanks,

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Patruck

• 2.  RE: AP-505 syslog - isc_test_check

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2021 05:09 AM
    I don't think this message can be disabled, unless it behaviour has changed in newer firmware. You could check the release notes for newer software version.

Configuration for SNMP traps is described here. And I don't see an option to filter. There is an option to send the traps as Inform, which may help.

Aruba Support can probably help you to find if this is considered a bug, which it may be as if the admin deliberately disabled activate, it may not make sense to send traps like these with this priority. Maybe support knows a way to selectively filter the traps.

Filtering the traps in your SNMP receiver is another option...

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: AP-505 syslog - isc_test_check

Posted Jul 30, 2021 06:38 AM
    There is no issue regarding the SNMPv3 Traps...they're working as expected. As you've mentioned, the syslog message shouldn't appear, when 'activation' is disabled, so i'll contact the support.

FW: ArubaInstant_Gemini_8.8.0.1_80393

Mark Patruck

• 4.  RE: AP-505 syslog - isc_test_check

Posted Aug 26, 2021 01:30 AM
    As Herman already mentioned, you cannot stop the system from printing a "<WARN>: activation is disabled" every 5 minutes. I've discussed this with Aruba Support and it still does not make sense to me, because if i disable an option on purpose as administrator, i know about this and the consequences. Likewise it could print "<WARN>: ntp server disabled", if i didn't use a ntp server.

However...i'll ignore the message in syslog now. Perhaps it'll change in near future.

Tests were done with: fw 8.8.0.1/8.7.1.4 and factory defaults to prevent configuration issues.

Mark Patruck