Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

migrating from MM to master-standby (standalone)

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  migrating from MM to master-standby (standalone)

Posted Jul 14, 2021 02:02 AM
    Hi,
    we have a MM network setup and one site wants to go to a standalone config.
    for now, the site has 2 MD - cluster config.
    I was thinking to move all APs to controller A, remove  controller B from the cluster and add the config as a master controller. once this is done, move all APs from A to new master controller B and make controller A as a standby controller.

do I need to think about something else ? what about the licenses, do I need to transfer them from MM to this new master-standby setup ?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    ioanf

• 2.  RE: migrating from MM to master-standby (standalone)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 02:12 AM
    That scenario is rare and in a way, counter-intuitive.

- You will have to move licenses from the MM to the new controller pair, yes.
    - Standalone controllers have less features than controllers in an MM hierarchy and require a different setup, so I would review  the Standalone section of the document in the post here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/blogs/jeasley1/2018/05/09/migration-to-arubaos-8
    - You will have to configure the standalone controllers manually from scratch, so this is not as simple as just breaking two controllers off and having them run alone.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: migrating from MM to master-standby (standalone)

Posted Jul 14, 2021 03:30 AM
    thanks joseph,
    my question here is how to migrate the licenses from the MM to the standalone controller ? for example, the site that needs to go to standalone config has 29 APs, not sure how to migrate only 29 AP + PEF licenses from the MM to this standalone controller.

or I was thinking if there is any other way to allow this site to make changes only for the 2 controllers ? maybe create an user account for them so they are able to do whatever they want on the 2 controllers/APs via the MM web access ? I think this will be the easiest way :)

ioanf

• 4.  RE: migrating from MM to master-standby (standalone)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 08:37 AM
    As far as I know, using asp.arubanetworks.com you can only migrate licenses using the SKUs that  were purchased.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.