Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARM and transmit power

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  ARM and transmit power

Posted Sep 16, 2021 09:17 PM

Looking for some help with a question I can't seem to find a solid answer for. If I correctly understand all that I have read, ARM automatically sets the AP channel and there is no configuration required for channel assignment in most cases. However, everything I've read - the most influential being the Aruba VRD - there are power ranges you should configure in an ARM profile. For example, for a classroom 15/18 is recommended. My question is why can't the transmit power for the ARM profile be set to 0/0 and allow ARM to set the transmit power? 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

• 2.  RE: ARM and transmit power

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2021 10:10 PM
    To be clear, If you are running 8.x and you have an MM, you are using Airmatch, not arm.

The VRD says to set the transmit power similar to the transmit power of clients you serve.  The controller itself can detect other APs, to determine if power should be turned down to avoid cochannel interference.  What is cannot do, is detect the transmit power of clients that connect.  The administrator, to provide the proper balance between avoiding cochannel interference and matching AP transmit power to client transmit power, should set the power statically.  Airmatch will then lay out the channel plan with little intervention.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    ------------------------------