Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

Posted Apr 13, 2021 11:35 AM
    Hi All,

I'm looking at a package of IAP-25's, and thought a Support Contract was needed to upgrade.  However someone mentioned some lifetime support warranty, so I looked and found the following verbiage on arube.com 
    "

Upgrading a<madcap:conditionaltext madcap:conditions="Instant User Guide - volumes.AlcatelCondition,Instant User Guide - volumes.ArubaCondition">n</madcap:conditionaltext> IAP

While upgrading a<madcap:conditionaltext madcap:conditions="Instant User Guide - volumes.AlcatelCondition,Instant User Guide - volumes.ArubaCondition">n</madcap:conditionaltext> IAP, you can use the image check feature to allow the IAP to find new software image versions available on a cloud-based image server hosted and maintained by Aruba Networks. The location of the image server is fixed and cannot be changed by the user. The image server is loaded with latest versions of Instant software."

This is confusing to me, as it sounds as though I do not need a support contract, or is there some initial log-in/set-up that somehow authenticates me?

I recently got a steal on several AP-215's, however could not get them to communicate directly connected to my 620, which I think might be because the AP's are newer (6.4.1.0) than the MC AOS (6.1.3.6).

Trying not to buy AP's that I'm left swinging in the wind.

Come from a cisco shop, so not able to get support.  Any ideas on the cheapest SC one could get to simply upgrade for controller and/or AP's?

------------------------------
    fred koehler

• 2.  RE: Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 08:07 AM
    IAP-215 require minimum ArubaOS version 6.4.2.0/ It is clearly stated on the data sheet.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP210Series.pdf

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 3.  RE: Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 08:57 AM
    Do you have model 215 or 225? And do you have IAP or AP type? Your title and bodytext are in conflict.

If it is IAP models (sticker on the back will tell you AP-2xx or IAP-2xx), you can run them in Aruba Instant mode, without the need of a controller.
    If it is an AP model, or you want to run it with your 620 controller (which I would not as it is old and unsupported for some time), your controller needs to run 6.3.x.x firmware for the AP-225 or 6.4.x.x for the AP-215. Upgrading controller firmware does require a valid support contract.
    Instant firmware should be available under lifetime warranty, for which it seems to work if you create an account on asp.arubanetworks.com (just try that).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

MVP
    Posted Apr 14, 2021 09:19 AM

I'm looking at a package of IAP-25's,

You link was for IAPs running as Instant ( not Instant On or campus/controller-based) APs.

Do you have a link I do not think there is such a model. IAPs were designed, by defaiult to  be used standalone line a mini controller envronment with one IAP acting as the controller too.

Updating your controller would require a support contract which has not been available since the end of 2018. The lastes tOS it could handle was 6.4.x. 6.4.4.x will be end of support in September 2021.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/support/EOS_620.pdf

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

• 5.  RE: Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

Posted Apr 15, 2021 03:56 PM
    Hi Guys,

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

These were AP215's, I was also looking at 225's.... brain fart.

As mentioned, yes my controller was not up to standard, and no way I can upgrade it now with my present employer.  I've actually gone ahead and returned them, and have some actual IAP-215's coming. 

Sorry for wasting your time, but thanks!

fred koehler

• 6.  RE: Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

MVP
    Posted Apr 16, 2021 07:24 AM
    Please be aware that AP-225 officially went End of Sale last October and will be end of support in 2025. 

Does your employer really want to buy models that are near the end of their supported life? I personally recent chose to buy some end-of-sale IAPs for my home but I am confident in providing any needed support.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

• 7.  RE: Upgrading an IAP-225: Support contract not needed?

Posted Apr 16, 2021 10:52 AM
    Hi Bruce,

These are actually going to be used for my home as well.

fred koehler