Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

This thread has been viewed 39 times
  • 1.  Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

Posted 27 days ago
    Hi guys,
    we are currently having issues in an controller based environment (AOS 8.6.0.6). Windows 10 clients are losing connection when they have to roam from one AP to the other. Then users have to manually reconnect to the network, to regain network connection. At some days that happens every couple of minutes on other days it stays stable for hours.
    All we see in the logs is a deauth sent by the client with an Deauth from sta: xxx AP xxx Reason Unspecified Failure"
    We already updated the wifi driver to the latest intel version 22.30.0, without success so far.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Many Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

Posted 27 days ago
    Do you see roaming events between different types of APs? meaning from 300 or 200 series APs to 500 series APs

Does this issue only happening to Windows devices ?

Was this ever working correctly ?  or you started seeing this issue after an Windows update or Aruba controller update 

Are you using RADIUS server to authenticate the device ? if so, are you seeing any timeouts or rejects on the server side?

------------------------------
    Victor Fabian, ACEX#8
    Mobility Architect @ WEI

• 3.  RE: Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

Posted 27 days ago

No, there are only 500 series APs in use. Currently we only notice it on some windows clients with lenovo hardware.

The environment was migrated to aruba, nobody can tell for sure at the moment if this was differently in the old environment. We are using ClearPass for EAP-TLS based authentications, but all requests are answered properly with an accept.

• 4.  RE: Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

Posted 26 days ago
    HI User1234,

If you have AP-515 series access points i should recommend the latest conservative firmware release 8.5.x.x.
    If you have AP-505 series access points you need at least the standard 8.6.x.x firmware release.

In version 8.6.0.6 to 8.6.0.7 there was an update in driver of the radio chipset in the access points that gave me more stability that i could measured. Last days 8.6.0.8 came available didn't read the release notes allready but seems like it have due with a CVE security update.

Try to upgrade your controller to 8.6.0.8.

Try to enable 802.11k  (and or 802.11r if your clients support it) both standards designed to create a more seamless roaming experience for wireless clients. This is particularly useful for VoIP or other applications where long roaming times can result in a very noticeable impact on performance.

For urgent issues please open an Aruba TAC Support Ticket, this kind of issues can depend on many things and have to be troubleshoot in the right order to solve.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 5.  RE: Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

Posted 26 days ago
    I do not know if this applies currently or in your environment. At least on older AOS versions the 802.1X authentication profile default settings could cause issues. Here is what we currently use on AOS 8.5 but it was tuned by the Aruba ACE team some years back for our environment. It may be a good starting place.

aaa authentication dot1x "my-dot1x"
    timer quiet-period 3
    timer wpa-key-period 2000
    timer wpa2-key-delay 100
    timer wpa-groupkey-delay 100
    wpa-key-retries 2
    !

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 6.  RE: Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

Posted 7 days ago
    Seems like the update fixed the issue so far. Thanks for that tip!

• 7.  RE: Windows Clients frequent connection lost during roaming

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi User1234,

Good News! Thanks for your feedback to the community, which is very important to share knownledge en learn from each other.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own