Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 367 mounting orientation

This thread has been viewed 60 times
  • 1.  AP 367 mounting orientation

Posted Mar 13, 2021 09:27 PM
    I'm curious how to mount the 367 model of exterior AP which HP document says to mount in "vertical" orientation. 

The AP-365 access point is equipped with built-in omni-directional antennas which are optimized for horizontal mounted orientation of the AP-365 access point. The AP-367 access point is equipped with built-in directional antennas which are optimized for vertical mounted orientation of the AP-367 access point.

We mounted them like this: (to me, this looks like it's mounted horizontally which is apparently incorrect?)
    367 mounted about 10 feet off the ground
    Thanks for any advice on this.

------------------------------
    Demetri Orlando

• 2.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

Posted Mar 14, 2021 08:14 AM
    Just in case it's helpful to anyone in the future... The above mounting picture is incorrect. Here is a picture of the correct orientation for a 367:
    correct mounting orientation

Demetri Orlando

• 3.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 14, 2021 12:48 PM
    Demetri is right!

The AP-367 has internal directional antenna's with a 90x90 degrees beam, it haven't omni antenna's like the AP-365, both models have there own purpose.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 4.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

Posted Jun 21, 2021 11:24 AM
    Does Aruba provide any type of distance expectations you could get from a 365/367?  I know all installations will be different with a number of variables and things that can disrupt the signal but I wasnt sure if they had anything that said 'in a perfect situation, you could expect to get signal for 100 meters in an omni direction from a 365' for example.... is there anything like that for a 365 & 367 AP?

thanks!

Brian Freas

• 5.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

MVP
    Posted Jun 21, 2021 11:44 AM
    There was a really good Atmosphere session that touched on this. You should see if you can still find the recorded session (or slide shows) titled "AB316AM Apply Radio Frequency (RF) Fundamentals to Optimize Wi-Fi Design." During that session they touched upon your question.

For example they mentioned for 365s, in a perfect world barring any trees/buildings/etc, a 365 could produce a reliable coverage radius of 100-125m. They mentioned ideally the height should be 4-6m above the ground, but its viable anywhere from 1-20m.

For the 367s they mentioned 30-40m side-to-side coverage, with parallel coverage shooting out to 200m (again, in ideal conditions). They mention mounting should be at or below 7.5m aim straight out parallel to the ground. For every 5m above 7.5m, downtilt it ~5 degrees.

• 6.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

Posted Jul 08, 2021 01:57 PM
    thank you.  Do you know how many concurrent connections the 365/367 models can handle?

Brian Freas

• 7.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

Posted Jul 08, 2021 02:10 PM
    From Aruba's website: Practical maximum client count indication (per radio) is 50.  Max number of associations is 256.

Edit-There are two radios, so double that to 100 practical maximum client count, 512 max number of associations.

Jim Lucas

• 8.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

MVP
    Posted Mar 15, 2021 08:15 AM
    Demetri Orlando, which mount are you using? Does it allow for tilt as well?

Nathan Kuhl

• 9.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 15, 2021 08:38 AM
    The AP-270-MNT-H3 has become my go to for outdoor APs like this. Control on both axis.

Dustin Burns

• 10.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

Posted Mar 16, 2021 03:50 PM
    Nathan,
    I just ordered some of the dual axis mounts (AP-270-MNT-H3) mentioned by Dustin (thank you!), and I am also using a single axis mount (AP-270-MNT-H1) in locations where the AP just needs to point straight out from its mounted location.
    Best,
    Demetri

Demetri Orlando

• 11.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

MVP
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 08:43 AM
    On a side note, what kind of cabling is recommended for an install like this? We're about to hang an AP-577 on an exterior wall. Does it need to be rated for outdoor? Cat6 solid shielded/unshielded?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nathan Kuhl

• 12.  RE: AP 367 mounting orientation

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 08:47 AM
    Yes. It is recommended to use an outdoor rated cable. They are usually made with an outer jacket with better UV protection, and filled with a gel that resists corrosion.

Dustin Burns
    Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos