Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New Stand alone controller config

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  New Stand alone controller config

Posted Apr 22, 2021 05:41 PM
    Hi all,

I'm new to Aruba products as I just took over the responsibilities from a former employee. Come to find out we are on 6.5.4.8 so it needs to be upgraded, to say the least. After doing some research and consulting with an Aruba rep it seems the best route is to start from scratch since were making such a big leap from 6.5.4.8 to 8.6.x.x  So I'm really just trying to find the most up today documentation on setting up a new stand-alone controller on a 7205 and looking for any recommended reading in planning for this.  I've found some documentation but it all seems to be from years ago and I'm unsure if that's the most recent. 

We have a very simple config from what I can tell 3 SSID's, 26 AP 325's, 7 VLAN's  Were not doing anything that advanced from what I can see.  I'm going to be setting up another 7205 and a spare AP325 for a lab assuming I can get a demo license. So anything you can do to get me started would be greatly appreciated!! 

------------------------------
    Chris Smith

• 2.  RE: New Stand alone controller config

MVP
    Posted Apr 23, 2021 07:57 AM
    Moving to a standalone controller avoids much of the complexity available in AOS8 for larger deployments. Your account team ( VAR or Aruba SE)  are likely your best resource. 

If you wish, I can reach out to our Aruba SE to see if the one in your area can assist.  I am assuming the location information on your corporate website is accurate.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 3.  RE: New Stand alone controller config

Posted Apr 23, 2021 08:27 AM
    There were a couple videos - I will try to find them and post.  Another thing that was really helpful - we printed out the full text configuration, identified everything that was relevant, and built out the new deployment using that as our checklist.

Jim Lucas

• 4.  RE: New Stand alone controller config

Posted Apr 27, 2021 09:37 AM
    I found this one from 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsfCnkBC590 Is this going to be current enough?

Chris Smith

• 5.  RE: New Stand alone controller config

Posted Apr 27, 2021 12:15 PM
    8.x code has been out for quite a while and the migration strategy hasn't really changed as far as I know. I think that was one of the videos we used as well.

• 6.  RE: New Stand alone controller config

MVP
    Posted Apr 23, 2021 08:42 AM
    One more idea, if you have the time.

When we moved to AOS 8 we used it as a time to configure our network from scratch to be sure all old unused stuff was gone. Similarly it might be a good idea for you to spend time understanding your configuration. Personally, I prefer to know why things are set up as they are to aid in troubleshooting and improvement. That is a very tall task for somebody starting out. I really hope you can find an experienced Aruba engineer to assist you.

I do not know if it is possible for you to get evaluation licenses to  run a virtual controller for testing.  Again your account team may be able to assist if your company has the resources needed..

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer