Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading to AOS 8 from AOS 6.5

This thread has been viewed 54 times
  • 1.  Upgrading to AOS 8 from AOS 6.5

Posted Jun 14, 2021 11:07 AM
    I am in the process of upgrading two A7205 controllers that are configured as master/master(standby)

I have built two new VMM's ready for the migration. Is it safer to use the migration tool, or to do a clean install to migrate the A7205's?

The customer has a lot of devices that use pre-shared keys that are difficult to get to. Therefore, I need to ensure that if I do a clean install that the devices with pre-shared keys will continue to work. The reason I raise this question, is in the past I had a client that had several Service Offices for hot-desk workers that used standalone IAP clusters configured with the same SSIDs and passwords at each site. Hot-desk workers were unable to roam between sites without having to forget the WIFI configuration for the common SSID, and then reentering the SSID and password.

------------------------------
    Racingyacht

• 2.  RE: Upgrading to AOS 8 from AOS 6.5

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 14, 2021 02:27 PM
    I would translate the config from 6 to 8 without the migration tool. Once that's done, and if the environment can run on one controller for a test, I would convert one of the controllers to AOSv8, and test the environment. Move some of the APs that have the PSK clients on them to the upgraded controller and test. 

Take a backup of the controller to fail back quicker if needed.

Have you migrated licenses to the vMMs yet?

Dustin Burns
    Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Upgrading to AOS 8 from AOS 6.5

Posted Jun 14, 2021 04:12 PM
    Hi Dustin
    I could probably use the approach suggested to convert a single controller to a MC to test PSK. I will take a look into this options. From the posts that I have read over the past few days most people prefer to do a clean install. 

Re licenses. I have installed eval licenses on the MMs and will convert the real licenses once the upgrade has been completed.

Anderson Spooner

• 4.  RE: Upgrading to AOS 8 from AOS 6.5

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 14, 2021 05:02 PM
    Just an FYI. You can transfer, or have TAC help you transfer, the licenses over and still have them in the v6 environment during your transition. Transferring them shouldn't disable them in the v6 environment.

Dustin Burns
    Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos