Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Playstation not getting DHCP

This thread has been viewed 46 times
  • 1.  Playstation not getting DHCP

MVP
    Posted Feb 07, 2021 09:24 AM
    Is anyone else having problems getting PS4/PS5 an IP address on your Aruba wireless network? These devices are the only ones that simply won't obtain an IP address. We have input manual IPs. Very strange. Any one else with this issue?

------------------------------
    Nathan Kuhl

• 2.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

Posted Feb 08, 2021 12:06 PM
    Hi Nathan, I have a PS5 on my local controller-based Aruba network (was OS6.5 and is now OS8.7) and it authenticates just fine using WPA2/PSK and obtains an IP address from the local Cisco router via DHCP. When I initially discovered that the PS5 did not support 802.1x I tried to use WPA2/PSK with MAC authentication but I could not get this to work at all, with the PS5 not joining the network. Falling back to plain old WPA2/PSK fixed the issue.

Regards

Will South

• 3.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

MVP
    Posted Feb 08, 2021 02:34 PM
    Thanks for the tip. We're using MAC authentication so maybe there's an issue there.

On a side note, are you running OS8 the same way as you did with OS6, meaning a local controller only? I know with OS8 they want you to get a mobility master and then branch off from there.

Nathan Kuhl

• 4.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

Posted Feb 09, 2021 03:52 AM
    You're welcome Nathan. All of the other non-802.1x capable devices are happy with WPA2/PSK with MAC Auth except the PS5.

Yes I'm using OS8 in the same way so just a local standalone controller as it's a small solution. You lose some of the new features such as AirMatch but it runs just fine.

Regards

Will

• 5.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

MVP
    Posted Feb 09, 2021 07:49 AM
    MAC address authentication works with the PS5 We are using MAC authentication successfully here ar Liberty University on an open network protected by a captive portal.

Bruce Osborne

• 6.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

MVP
    Posted Feb 09, 2021 08:27 AM
    Hey Bruce,

Which OS version are you running? 
    -- 
    Nathan Kuhl
    Information Technology
    Wyoming Seminary
    570-270-2241

*** Please report all problems to the help desk: https://helpdesk.wyomingseminary.org ***

• 7.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

MVP
    Posted Feb 09, 2021 08:42 AM
    Most of our MDs are running what I believe is the latest Conservative Release, 8.5.0.10.

Bruce Osborne

• 8.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

Posted Jan 19, 2022 02:20 PM
    FWIW, We are seeing this behavior at one of our sites but not the other two (although students haven't returned yet at one of them.)  MACAuth is working successfully, vlan switching appears to be successfully.  We can see the DHCP requests and offer, but never a DHCPACK.

Bryan Scovill

• 9.  RE: Playstation not getting DHCP

Posted Jan 20, 2022 10:26 AM
    We were never able to figure out the exact cause of the issue but it only pertained to PlayStations when connected to the Aruba wireless network. Wired connections were fine.

Our Windows 2016 DHCP servers were set to load-balance. Once we disabled load-balancing and reverted to master/standby, that resolved the issue. I have no idea why though.

Nathan K