Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New M1 Apple Laptops

This thread has been viewed 96 times
  • 1.  New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted May 11, 2021 12:45 PM
    Does anyone have any experience with the new M1 laptop in their Aruba environment? We getting very poor performance with them. Hard to get users to believe their shiny new device is having wireless issues and quickly blame the network. Quick Google mission reveals some really long threads full of similar complaints. Hopefully we can get some mileage out of updating AOS to the newest. 

Thanks

------------------------------
    Ryan Hertzing

• 2.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

MVP GURU
    Posted May 11, 2021 12:49 PM
    Have you tried running the Mac Wireless Diagnostics. And have you tried turning off IPv6 for wireless?

Dustin Burns

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted May 12, 2021 12:58 PM
    Hi Ryan,
    What's your Aruba environment (controller, version, APs)?

I just got one of the new M1 laptops to test, and it's running well on wifi today, but it sounds like this problem is intermittent and doesn't happen right away. FWIW, we are on 8.6.0.7 on 7205 controllers running mostly 515s. One of those Apple Forum discussions says that a recent update in Big Sur MacOS might help?

I'll be curious to see how this develops, as we're looking at purchasing these M1 laptops soon.
    Demetri

• 4.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 12, 2021 04:05 PM
    There is a lot rumour arround the Apple M1 Wi-Fi chipset having some issues and it's proparly a client issue. Apple ignore to certified his products by the WiFi Alliance ;).

I see you running ArubaOS 8.6.0.7 which have some vulnerability announced this week.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/alert/ARUBA-PSA-2021-011.txt

Please upgrade your controllers to ArubaOS 8.6.0.9 which is the new conservative (most stable) release since last week. ArubaOS 8.6.07 is not conservative so it's a good moment to upgrade your controllers first.

Another thing that the M1 chipset issue could be in the new 802.11AX WiFi6 draft standard. If you can't fix it with drivers on the client end, or a controller upgrade, you could decide to disable the HE SSID and see if that helps.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 5.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted May 12, 2021 04:51 PM
    Thanks Marcel. Much more than a rumor in my opinion :) We are moving to 8.6.0.9 this evening. The laptops are updated to the newest stable versions, stopping short of installing any beta versions.

Ryan Hertzing

• 6.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted May 12, 2021 04:52 PM
    8.6.0.7 with AP-515's. Moving to 8.6.0.9 this evening. Thanks.

Ryan Hertzing

• 7.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 12, 2021 04:58 PM
    Excellent! Please let us known the result and see if we need to dig deeper.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 8.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted May 12, 2021 04:54 PM
    Thanks for the thought on Mac Wireless Diag, have not tried that yet. We have experimented with disabling IPv6 on the client but did not get any mileage out of that. Thanks.

Ryan Hertzing

• 9.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted May 12, 2021 04:58 PM
    Probably this would never happen but wouldn't it be wonderful it Aruba posted an advisory or some other official communication outlining this issue?
    Luckily the problem threads are getting really long and hard to ignore but there sure has been a lot of stones cast at the network over this issue.
    "It's a brand new Mac, therefore the problem must be your network". etc... OK done venting, thanks.

Ryan Hertzing

• 10.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 12, 2021 05:19 PM
    If every device on the network operate normal, except of the Macbook M1's, it's a Wi-Fi issue ;). They always blame the Wi-Fi but 80% are client driver issues. Special for new devices that relay on draft technology ;).
    Could you explain the issue in more detail? Is it slow or disconnect frequently, how often, other type devices with same issues?

What WiFi standard is used by the client, radio and channel is used? SNR? Is there a Wireless Site Survey executed? etc.

On your MAC you can hold the "option key" will hit the wifi icon in the top bar.

• 11.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted Sep 14, 2021 03:27 PM
    We are having similar issues with M1s. Running firmware 8.7.1.1_78245 on Central - about 200 APs.
    Two thing happening:
    Devices drop off the network, spinning beachball - you have to disconnect from the wireless and reconnect.
    Devices dropping out of Zoom and Google meets. This is definitely the M1s, as these users are switching to their phones in the same locations without issues.
    This doesn't appear to be affecting the bulk of the devices, but those that are affected have the issues regularly.

Mark Noack
    Yarmouth School Department
    Yarmouth Maine

Mark Noack

• 12.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted Sep 15, 2021 09:51 AM
    I am also seeing this -- a particular freshman has her M1 connect to the wireless, shows dns, connects to websites, and then after a short time falls into this cycle of the Network Preferences saying that there is a perfectly fine network connection, but all of the browsers say that it's not connected to the internet. Repeatedly cycling the wireless on and off will eventually get all of the applications to recognize that the machine is on the internet, but within a short time -- a few minutes to maybe an hour -- it crashes off again.

A different student, another freshman who lives across the hall from the first student, has the same model M1. She came in because she was having a different problem, and her network connection is NOT doing the pathological cutting-in-and-out.

I connected the first student's computer to a wire and upgraded the OS from 11.3.1 to 11.5.2 and then loaned her my ethernet dongle and hooked up the ethernet port in her room. I've been trying to get ahold of her to find out how it's been behaving, but she's your typical freshman who thinks that we're idiots because her computer works perfectly on her network at home.

Cathy Fasano

• 13.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted Sep 16, 2021 04:09 PM
    Last night I took the student's laptop and did a deep dive through wireless diagnostics, at two buildings on my campus and then I took it home and tested it on my home wireless.

First off, the symptoms: MBA is connected to internet, everything looks normal for a few seconds/minutes/hours (usually not hours, though!) Then the macbook acts as if the wireless network is not connected to the internet. Web browser tabs spin and spin, and eventually time out. OR they spin for a long time and then suddenly load. Or suddenly load partially. There is a particular problem with DNS, as there is an "in between" state where I can load a url by name if it's in the DNS cache, and can load a never-before-connected-to site if I use a numeric IP, but the DNS times out if I have to get it from the server. All of this in complicated by the way the internet is set up to retry after failure -- so I get fits and starts of connectivity, sometimes lasting a few seconds and sometimes more like an hour and everything in between.

First set of tests was connected to our office AP215, and I was also on the phone with Apple customer support and my phone using wi-fi assist through the same AP. I ran the WirelessDiagnostics app multiple times, as the network transitioned continuously through random periods of connect and disconnect. Through the entire time the Network Preferences were up, and the computer was reporting a rock solid connection to the AP. Connected through our regular users wireless (mcUsers), and also connected through our partially functional eduroam network. (We have a working SP and can provide access to outsiders, but our IdP is misconfigured and so none of our users can use local credentials. I connected using my personal credentials at another university.) These wireless diagnostics take about 20 minutes a pop to run, and interacting with web browsers I could see that the laptop was sometimes on but mostly off.

At the end of each diagnostic run, it produced a large tarball of reports, which I have only just started to explore.  A panel would come up at the end as well and report that the network was not connected to the internet (don't remember the exact verbiage) if the computer had been out of connection for any period of time at all during the test.

Next we carried the laptop to another building. This building has SSIDs for mcUser -- which goes through CPG -- and eduroam -- which authenticates the eduroam way -- just like the building where my office does, and also a third network which is password protected. There the connection would have been through one of two AP135s. I ran multiple passes through the diagnostics, on all three networks. Interacting with the web browser in the background, the network appeared to be up a higher proportion of the time, although it spent lots of time down on all 3 vlans. I had at least one failure and one success (success being where the network stayed up through the entire test, and there was no outage report at the end) on each of the networks.

Next tack was to take the laptop to my house. I have 2 routers, and they have different SSIDs for the different speeds, so total of 4 SSIDs. (Typical home network when your AP doesn't make it through the whole house. I was sitting directly underneath one router, and tested on both SSIDs with that, while I could only see the lower-speed SSID on the other. Like everyone else is reporting, the connectivity was rock-solid on the consumer grade network while it's a total train wreck on the enterprise network. The second test that I ran on my high-speed SSID I got the message at the end indicating that there had been a failure during the test, but I never caught the network down.

Basically still stumped...
    -- I have another freshman with the same MBA who has some significant wireless problems the same way, but not nearly so severe. The two girls live across the dorm hallway from each other and are friends and do spend some amount of time together where one laptop is constantly disconnecting and the other only occasionally disconnecting. (yes, their M1 MBAs brought them together!)
    -- Both girls have no connectivity problems anywhere but on campus.
    -- Both girls have no problems at all when using wired ethernet through an adaptor.

Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Cathy Fasano

• 14.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted Sep 17, 2021 02:49 PM
    Hello Cathy,

This might help. We found early on with Mac's that they save multiple certs in the keychain even though it is the same cert just renewed but the Mac's want to put them in multiple times and the device will jump to either cert expired or not.  Check out our page on this and see if that might be the issue. 
    https://www.ohio.edu/oit/services/internet/wi-fi/help/fix-dropped-connections-mac  

Hope this helps
    Bill

Bill Harris

• 15.  RE: New M1 Apple Laptops

Posted Sep 17, 2021 04:13 PM
    Bill, I think that your suggestion only applies to eduroam campuses -- the only *.edu certificate that I have on my macbook is the one I downloaded to use my credentials from another university to log into my college's eduroam network.

Although when I do fix my broken eduroam IdP I'm wondering if I will have this problem!

Cathy Fasano