Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WIFI Cluster - Explanation for missing VLANs on some members

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  WIFI Cluster - Explanation for missing VLANs on some members

Posted Jan 11, 2022 06:11 AM

Dear Arubers,

Even I understood "L2-Connected" principle, I need to validate a temporary configuration.

On "Cluster profile" I can select which VLANs I want to share on the cluster. If I add VLANs only on a some controllers and not on the whole cluster,  is it possible to maintain a full redundancy for clients ?

Below you can find the network diagram for this temporary step of migration.

Here, I delete VLAN 12 and 13 of the MD3 and MD4. If a client is connected on an AP registered on MD3, can he nevertheless connect to the VLAN 12 ?
    It would mean that the AP would have AAC/S-AAC and the client would have other UAC/S-UAC. Is this configuration possible (without "L2-Connected" of course) ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

------------------------------
    Jules Bvt

• 2.  RE: WIFI Cluster - Explanation for missing VLANs on some members

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 11, 2022 09:08 AM
    Trying to understand this better. What is the use case?

If you have all of the controllers clustered how do you propose you control where the client or APs end up? If you remove a VLAN from the two controllers, and a client connects, they will not get an IP in that subnet.

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: WIFI Cluster - Explanation for missing VLANs on some members

Posted Jan 11, 2022 10:24 AM
    Thanks you Dustin for your quick answer.

This situation is temporary because the second DC is not over yet.

If MD3 and MD4 don't have the VLAN 12 and 13, i would have hoped that UAC/S-UAC for the client could be only MD1 and MD2.

But, according to you, it is not possible, a client using a Virtual-AP with VLAN 12 will be connected on MD1, MD2, MD3 or MD4 randomly regardless of VLAN 12 presence on the controller (and so, don't retrieve IP address on MD3 and MD4) ?

Jules Bvt

• 4.  RE: WIFI Cluster - Explanation for missing VLANs on some members

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 11, 2022 10:28 AM
    Yes I believe that is the case. You could confirm with TAC, but I don't think the assignment with the bucket IDs check VLAN availability.

Dustin Burns

• 5.  RE: WIFI Cluster - Explanation for missing VLANs on some members

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 11, 2022 09:12 AM
    The cluster profile doesn't control what VLANs are available by the way. Its where you choose to exclude VLANs from participating in the L2 Clustering for client statefull failover. The Controllers need to reach each other over L2 broadcasts to enable this. If they miss probes, the cluster goes to L3 connected. Removing a VLAN in the cluster profile will not remove it from the controller.

Dustin Burns