Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN IP Address assignment in AOS8

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  VLAN IP Address assignment in AOS8

Posted Jan 15, 2021 10:23 AM
      |   view attached

Good morning Aruba community!

Quick question, I'm struggling to understand the proper way to assign an IP Address to a VLAN for three controllers participating in a cluster. If memory servers I was told by Aruba TAC that an IP Address can be assigned to a VLAN in the Managed Network node hierarchy, under Configuration > Interfaces > VLANs.

However, when I try doing so I get a warning message saying this configuration can lead to duplicate IP Addresses, which makes sense considering that there are three controllers participating in a cluster under the Managed Network hierarchy (see photo).

The crazy thing is I'm fairly certain this is where I configured an IP Address in the past, however, now that configuration is gone. Ultimately I have configured an IP Address for my VLAN under each Mobility Controller. If anyone can provide a good explanation to help me better understand the IP Addressing/VLAN settings I would greatly appreciate it!

cheers!

------------------------------
    Matt
    Sr. Network Engineer

• 2.  RE: VLAN IP Address assignment in AOS8
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 15, 2021 10:46 AM
    Create the VLAN (without an IP) at the 'Campus-WiFi' level, then add the VLAN IP Address to the VLAN at the Node Level, so 'MC1' etc.

If you was to add the VLAN + IP at the 'Campus-WiFi' then this would be pushed to all the MC's and a duplicate IP.

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: VLAN IP Address assignment in AOS8

Posted Jan 15, 2021 11:16 AM
    Craig,

Thank you! Ultimately that is what I have done, I just think Aruba needs to be more clear about where settings have to be configured in the MD hierarchy. The User Guide is misleading as it states on page 335.

------
    1. Login to the Mobility Master.
    2. In the Managed Network node hierarchy, navigate to the Configuration > Interfaces > VLANs tab.
    3. Click + to add a new VLAN.
    4. Enter the VLAN name as guest_vlan.
    5. Enter VLAN ID/Range as 900.
    6. Click Submit.
    7. Select the VLAN name from the VLANs table and the VLANs > <VLAN name> table is displayed.
    8. Click on the VLAN ID, 900 and enter the following:.
    a. For IPv4 Address, enter 192.168.200.20.
    b. Click Submit.

[Matt]
    [Sr. Network Engineer]