Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade standalone controller.

• 1.  Upgrade standalone controller.

Posted Dec 23, 2020 10:31 AM

Hello,

This week I finally had the courage to upgrade my standalone router from 6.5.4.18 to 8.2.2.10, using the migration tool, and this worked fine. Everything seems to be upgraded and so far no issues. 

I did this upgrade because I want some new features and newer access points in the future, so staying at 6.5.4.18 was not an option. Now that I did this first upgrade I have a few questions.

1. Currently my controller has 8.2.2.10 on Flash0 and 6.5.4.18 on Flash1. Can I now simply upgrade the Flash1 firmware to the latest 8.3.x firmware using the image, like I always did with the 6.x firmware, or do I need to use the migration tool again?

2. I have some remote access points that might not have the upgrade yet, because people have turned them off and are on their well earned holliday. Can I continue my upgrade, or should I first upgrade all remote access points to 8.2.2.10?

I have a simple standalone topology with one 7205 and a hand full of accesspoints and remote accesspoints.

Jan Hugo Prins

------------------------------
    Jan Hugo Prins

• 2.  RE: Upgrade standalone controller.

Posted 29 days ago

Hi Jan,

1. AFAIK that's no problem. To be sure first create a backup. If run into any issue's you can easy swap back to the flash0 parition.

2. Because the controller is "re-installed" after the upgrade from 6.x to 8.x i'am not sure if the remote access points have to re-enroll there certificate and whitelist, and posible need to be provisioned. Unfortunally i can't test this senario for you in my environment.

Best to work with Aruba TAC support to invest your environment en best migration method.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 3.  RE: Upgrade standalone controller.

Posted 20 days ago
    Hi,
    Thans for the previous reply. Everything  seemed to work so I did the next upgrade. I'm at 8.3.0.14 now, and I have run into an issue. My guest portal doesn't work anymore. It looks like the client are not redirected when they connect to the guest network. Created a tac case but so far nothing really helpful out of those Indian people.
    What I noticed is that the guest-logon role now has some extra user alias rule where the alias points to the IP of the controller on the management network with all the access points. Did some packet traces and noticed that nothing hits those rules because the guest network is in a different vlan.
    Has anyone seen this before? Wold really like to get my guest portal working again.

Jan Hugo

Jan Hugo Prins

• 4.  RE: Upgrade standalone controller.

Posted 20 days ago
    Did you add an ip address to the guest vlan, it's required to let the portal redirection work. Also check the clearpass ip https is allowed in the guest-logon role, some older version this would not create automatic correctly when use the "wizard". Why do you use 8.3.x.x maybe beter to use the lastest 8.5.x.x or you should have a good reason ;).

Outlook voor iOS downloaden