Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-514 with Externals Antenna

This thread has been viewed 69 times
  • 1.  AP-514 with Externals Antenna

Posted Dec 22, 2020 06:59 AM

Hi Team,

Can we connect 2 nos AP-ANT-48 to AP-514 by connecting 2 Ports of each antenna to AP. What is purpose of each port in the antenna. This because I need to connect two directional antennas to an AP514.

------------------------------
    Dinusha Chandrasinghe - MVP | ACMP | ACSP |ACSA
    Network Engineer
    Plexus Global (Pvt) Ltd
    Colombo Sri Lanka
    +94717327420

• 2.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 22, 2020 11:36 AM

Hi Dinusha,

This antenna is dualband and wil work with an AP-514, but you can't split the connectors. The output connectors for each radio will work together so you can't split them. If you need two directional antenna's you will need two accesspoints.

AP-ANT-48 Dual Band 60x60deg 8.5dBi 4 Element MIMO 4xRPSMA Pigtail Antenna

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 3.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

Posted Dec 22, 2020 11:59 PM

What happens If I connect only two connectors to AP. Is there any possibility to connect two antennas to single AP

Network Engineer
    Plexus Global (Pvt) Ltd
    Colombo Sri Lanka
    +94717327420

• 4.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 23, 2020 04:23 AM
    Due to the 4x4 design, all 4 of the antenna ports are used for 5ghz operation. Mixing antenna types on an AP-514 will prevent proper beamforming, among other things, and severely limit wireless performance.

Outlook voor iOS downloaden

• 5.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 23, 2020 08:24 PM

It's ok to connect a (single) 2x2 antenna to the AP-514 (use ports A0 and A1), but the AP will be limited to 2x2 (2SS) mode, and it's recommended to terminate the unused ports with dummy 50 ohm loads.

You can use two 2x2 antennas as well, but in order to avoid unpredictable issues, the patterns need to be overlapping/identical. Pointing two directional antennas in different directions will not work.

Onno Harms

• 6.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

Posted Dec 24, 2020 02:52 AM

I will submit my design here. I could not find a 2x2 MIMO directional antenna that supports AP514.

Is there any option  that supports two directional antennas to AP 514

Red lines are Racks (Width = 1.8m height=18m length= 60m

Red lines are Racks (Width = 1.8m height=18m length= 60m
    Network Engineer
    Plexus Global (Pvt) Ltd
    Colombo Sri Lanka
    +94717327420

• 7.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 25, 2020 04:13 PM

Hi Dinusha,

I'am not a big fan of a "End-of-the-Aisle" design because any obstruction like a heftruck could block or impact the signal. An excellent design can be reached with an "Overhead-Aisle" design with one access point with a 120 degrees vertical / 15 degrees horizontal directional antenna pointing down in each row. The small 15 degree range is excellent to minimize the impact of the materials in the storage racks and keep maximal control over co-channel interference.

http://shop.acceltex.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_25&products_id=524&osCsid=6odvrm2m9sbkppbri9uvj393v3

Below a Ekahau design with this antenna pointing down at 5GHz/19dBm will give a good coverage on about 70 meter.

A great blog about this is writen by theitrebel.

https://blog.theitrebel.com/2018/08/27/warehouse-wireless-design-ideas/

As Onno mentioned you can't use two 2x2 attenna in different directions or in different rows on a AP-514.
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 8.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

Posted Dec 01, 2021 12:22 PM
    Hi Marcel,
    After reading your fruitful reply, I did compare a few antennas model with Aruba-514 access point using Ekahau.
    AccelTex antenna seems offer slightly better coverage in compare with using Aruba-ANT-45 or Aruba-ANT-48 at the both ends of an 40 meter aisle. Of course, as suggested, there is only one AP instead of two on this plan.

Height of racks : 8.0 m
    Height of APs    : 8.5 m
    Attenuation factor for racks : 10dB/m

Yakup Allak

Yakup Allak

• 9.  RE: AP-514 with Externals Antenna

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 01, 2021 06:45 PM
    Hi Yakup,

Nice! Sounds like a plan. A single AP in a row should work for 40 meter with this antenna.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own