Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

This thread has been viewed 67 times
  • 1.  Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Nov 23, 2020 05:18 AM
    hello, im trying to setup clearpass onboard with dual SSID using the guidance from Aruba Solution Exchange. The captive portal successfully pops up when i use my laptop to connect, i can also successfully provision my laptop. When i tried to connect using my mobile phone, the portal doesn't pop up. After troubleshooting it, i found that after i deleted the policy to allow google play download (for quickconnect), the captive portal pops up. If i do that, i cannot download QuickConnect and therefore cannot provision my device. Here are some details of the policies:

Any solution for this? Thank you

------------------------------
    AA

• 2.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 23, 2020 08:24 AM
    Try using the following for your google play alias:

netdestination google-play-dest
    name android.clients.google.com
    name *.googleapis.com
    name *.gvt1.com
    name *.ggpht.com
    name *.googleusercontent.com
    name *.gstatic.com
    name clients.l.google.com
    name accounts.google.com
    name accounts.youtube.com
    name connectivitycheck.android.com
    name connectivitycheck.gstatic.com
    name www.google.com

Dustin Burns

• 3.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Nov 24, 2020 03:08 AM
    I tried that. Didnt work. The captive portal successfully pops up, but i cannot download the quickconnect

@Victor Fabian i don't quite get what you mean?​

AA

• 4.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Nov 23, 2020 10:07 AM
    When the pop up happens , the mobile device brings up the mini-browser and the OnBoarding process will not work

Victor Fabian, ACEX#8
    Mobility Architect @ WEI

• 5.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2020 04:43 AM
    if you want to use your captive portal both for Guest and Onboarding, what you could do is initially redirect to the guest portal with no whitelists, then put a link or login button to sign in for Onboarding in the guest portal (you can use an account in the local user database for that, example username onboard with password onboard) and after login switch to a role that does what you already have with the whitelist. Users might at that point need to open the browser manually, which unfortunately is what it is.

Your requirements are contradicting: For guests you want to have the pop-up for convenience, for Onboard you cannot have the pop-up as the onboarding process will not work from there because of the client operating system security hardening. Having two different roles and switch to the onboarding role through a web-login is close to what you can get.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC.

• 6.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Nov 24, 2020 04:51 AM
    I already use the portal for guest and onboard with a link to do the onboarding process, as shown in this picture:
    For guest user, after doing the self registration and logging in, they will get the guest role.
    For onboard user (employee), after the onboarding process, they will use the 2nd SSID for boarded user.

AA

• 7.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Nov 27, 2020 04:23 AM
    Update: The captive portal pop up works on windows 10 laptops, but doesnt seem to work on mobile devices. Any idea for this?

AA

• 8.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2020 04:39 AM
    Some mobile devices will switch to cellular/mobile data when they think that is better for you, but that breaks the captive portal or onboard. You can try disabling mobile data temporarily and see if it works then.

That is really hard to tell from just the information 'doesn't work for mobile devices'. If you can, work with your Aruba partner or Aruba Support so you can show what is going on, and troubleshoot the client traffic while it is happening.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC.

• 9.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Dec 06, 2021 10:52 PM
    Hello Herman,

how are you,

how can i switch role through web login clearpass guest, so i can get role that have whitelist google play ?

thankyou

BR,

Hudaya

• 10.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2021 04:47 AM
    Simplest to explain is to put a link/form with 'known guest credentials' (can be in your local user database) that does a normal login and switches the role to one that has the allow listed google play, Apple, etc, and then redirect to another portal that continues the onboard process.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 11.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Dec 08, 2021 10:56 PM

Dear Herman,

now we have redirected to download quickconnect and network config,

but stuck in here, 

we try with different android device, still same issue

any idea sir ?

BR,

Hudaya

• 12.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2021 09:40 AM
    What does that exclamation sign ( /!\ ) tell? It looks like one of the download pages is intercepted by the captive portal instead of passed through. What role is the user in at this point? And what are the rules?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 13.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted Dec 12, 2021 11:12 PM

nevermind sir,

android have hardening system that wont allow redirect captive portal via HTTP, but quickconnect need allow HTTP and HTTPS to playstore, so it stuck there,

we upload it to clearpass and take out the whitelist, seems work fine for us,

one more thing, can we remove icon picture for download quickconnect from playstorein clearpass page if the device is android device ?

i could only edit the text only, not the download picture

android quickconnect download

BR,

Hudaya

• 14.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2021 03:39 AM
    I don't think the link to Google Play is customizable. You might do something with javascript/CSS in the skin to hide the element/class that displays the icon. That is not trivial though, but if you have the skills it may be possible.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 15.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 01, 2020 10:41 AM
    Not sure if this is the best solution, but i deleted the svc-http to the google play alias, now the captive portal works, both the mobile and laptop.

AA

• 16.  RE: Clearpass onboard captive portal no pop up because of allow google play ACL

Posted May 30, 2022 07:40 AM
    On the logon role I added https for netdestination google-play-dest, but removed www.google.com from it. Then I added google.com as it's own netdestination and added it to ALLOW list in the captive-portal profile. That caused the auto-login feature to remain intact, but still able to download QuickConnect from Google Play.
    There is some snag with this tho, where the client will have to click a "Continue in browser" link while in the auto-popup-browser, which pops Chrome and cause a second login. Most of the users doesn't need OnBoard anyways as this was only for employees which can get info of this in advance.

John-Egil Solberg |
    ACMX | ACCX