Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting a Master HA controller Pair to a local VRRP pair

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Converting a Master HA controller Pair to a local VRRP pair

Posted Mar 22, 2021 11:17 AM

Hi everyone. I am new to the Aruba brand I am currently trying to prepare to move an independent Master/local controller that are in an HA Group  to join a master/standby VRRP pair (master/backup) that will be used as a central point for all configurations and management. This is not a mobility master(conductor) setup.

I would like clarification on the following:
     - clarification on the terminology used by Aruba to describe the different setups
    - difference between a VRRP setup vs HA-group setup

and I would like to know the following:
    - given that in the independent setup has centralized licensing and both controllers terminate APs. How to move this over to the new controller
    - What things should I consider? and how should I prepare before moving it
    - If you can provide steps for making this move.

Thank you all.

------------------------------
    Diego Arguello

• 2.  RE: Converting a Master HA controller Pair to a local VRRP pair

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 23, 2021 06:07 AM
    Have a look at the below doc, it provides a good overview for the redundancy options. This also provides you with the steps to achieve Master/Local or Master/Master Standby and the Licensing options.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/vrd/2018_01_02_Campus_6_x_Redundancy.pdf

The main items to consider with VRRP vs HA Fast Failover is:

- VRRP (L2) requires controllers to be in the same broadcast domain
    - HA Fast Failover allows for L2/L3 failover and is quicker (sub second) then VRRP since a Standby AP tunnel is already established.

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: Converting a Master HA controller Pair to a local VRRP pair

Posted Mar 25, 2021 10:47 PM
    Thank you so much Craig, that link has the information I needed. It is much clearer now. I have a remaining question though. The system that I am working now has a VRRP pair of master/standby setup controlling two locations with 2 local controllers each using VRRP (master/backup).

- is there any benefit or is it possible at all using AP Fast failover on the master/standby master pair instead of vrrp, being that now we are dealing with IPSec tunnels to the local controllers only and not AP GRE tunnels?
    - a bit off topic, what’s the main differences between the master/backup controller setup vs a mobility conductor setup? And how does this affect AP load balancing at the HA local controllers?

Thank you again for your prompt response!

• 4.  RE: Converting a Master HA controller Pair to a local VRRP pair

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 29, 2021 04:17 AM

is there any benefit or is it possible at all using AP Fast failover on the master/standby master pair instead of vrrp, being that now we are dealing with IPSec tunnels to the local controllers only and not AP GRE tunnels?

-- You can indeed, you'd need to configure the Role as Dual in order to establish the Standby Tunnel.

- a bit off topic, what's the main differences between the master/backup controller setup vs a mobility conductor setup? And how does this affect AP load balancing at the HA local controllers?

-- With a Mobility Conductor, the management plane no longer resides on the controller. It is a separate device such as a VM or hardware appliance.

Craig Syme