Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

LMS failover

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  LMS failover

Posted Dec 03, 2020 04:00 AM
    Hi,

had to perform an upgrade from 8.6.0.4 to 8.6.0.6 yesterday evening on a MM/2xMD configuration, no cluster

I upgraded the first controller ending with ip 251.  No issues.
    I upgraded the second controller ending with ip 248.  I remarked all ap's migrating to controller with ip 251 and upgrading.
    Then they remained down, until controller with ip 248 started again.  Did not expect that...

Question is : why did they only come up after controller with ip 248 started again...

I checked ap config, there it says static controller discovery, controller with ip 248.
    For the group where the controller belongs to, the LMS settings are primary controller with ip 248, secondary controller with ip 251.

I did not have the time to perform another reboot on controller with ip 248 to find out if i could reproduce the issue.

Is this expected?  I believe the LMS settings are stored in an ap's config.  Maybe they get deleted during an upgrade process?  Does this thus only happen with an upgrade because an ap does work on controller with ip 251?

• 2.  RE: LMS failover

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2020 05:09 AM
    Hi NOP,

To my understanding the LMS/Backup LMS is send to the AP after connecting to the Controller. So it depends on your controller discovery method. If it is static, I would use a VRRP IP of the two controllers. IF you use DNS or DHCP you can either have both IP's in DNS or the DHCP option 43 or you could also work with a VRRP IP. 

Many thanks,
    Florian

------------------------------
    Florian Baaske
    ------------------------------