Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 303 Wireless Coverage

• 1.  AP 303 Wireless Coverage

Posted 28 days ago

Hi All,

We recently moved to Aruba 303 Aps with a 7205 controller setup from Cisco. All has been configured and is broadly operational but I've had some feedback that the coverage is not as good the previous Cisco setup.

I've checked and my settings for the ARM profiles match the guidelines for a dense office environment. When I check the status of the APs via cli, they are showing a mix of their min / max EIRP settings and I can see instances where ARM is moving the power up and down.

Everything I've read advises not to alter these power settings, for better or worse I believe the Cisco was configured with a much higher power setting on the APs. 

Am I correct in thinking that if they were too close and interfering I'd see the interference flag for the power change reason and most of them would be set to their lower power setting? It appears to be the reverse.

What are the implications of adjusting the EIRP settings? I might expect a little bit of a difference in coverage compared to the Cisco setup but in some cases where I have seen we are talking low / no connectivity within 20 feet or so of an AP with maybe a stud wall inbetween?

------------------------------
    Richard

• 2.  RE: AP 303 Wireless Coverage

Posted 27 days ago

Hi Richard,

If you replace access points 1:1 without doing a proper WLAN design you can run into this kind of issues after installation, different type of access points have different antenna patterns. Your question can be the best answered with "it depends", but thats proparly not what your looking for.

In a good (office) design your accesspoints should be places 12-20meter apart. Tx-power should be equal to you clients with the weakest tx-power. Most likely mobily phones have a tx-power arround 15dBm/30Mw. So the access points should by send around 15dBm EIRP. Plan for 5GHz and keep a 6dBm offset to the 2.4GHz radio or turn it off if you can (depend on client capability's). Place a AP in every second room, and place them in an honeycomb pattern. Plan for small channelwidth, 2,4GHz@20Mhz and 5GHz@40MHz or 5GHz@20MHz if you have to much (co-channel) interference.

ARM/Airmatch will dynamic put the channel and power plan, when it see to many interference from any source (also non-wifi) it will adjust the setting between then min. and max. tx-power or change the channelplan.  You can play with the setting to change the tx.min tx.max a little higher for example 18dBm@63dBm (higher should not advisible). It depend a lot on the distance and objects between your access points.

But in the end the only good advise is to hire a certified person to do a proper WLAN design for you onsite with a tool like Ekahau Pro.  There are to many reasons where we have to say "it depends". Don't overlook, you have to plan for capacity as well.
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE