Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

Posted Dec 01, 2020 08:58 AM
    Hi Guys, 

I am new here and would appreciate it if I could get some help in resolving my client issue.

I have configured figured wireless using IAPs with a VC in my client's office.  The laptops used can not connect to the wifi on bootup except when they use ethernet and later connect to the wifi afterwards.

This is only affecting corp. SSIDs, the guest SSID is fine as it shows on Aruba central and the corp SSID (only after the user as login via ethernet)

Any ideas please? 

many thanks

------------------------------
    SirVic

• 2.  RE: Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 01, 2020 02:56 PM
    Could you please give us some more information to help you.

- What model of AP
    - What ArubaOS firmware level
    - What type of wlan interface does the client have
    - What driver level
    - What authentication mode do you use on your corporate SSID
    - What WiFi standard do you broadcasting

Also "netsh wlan show wlanreport" can give you a lot of valuable information (run as administrator). 

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 3.  RE: Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

Posted Dec 01, 2020 03:45 PM

Thanks for the questions Marcel,-

What model of AP.      =   AP 515

- What ArubaOS firmware level     =   8.6.0.4 74868
    - What type of wlan interface does the client have      =    not sure , but I will say the AP
    - What driver level    =    not sure of this question
    - What authentication mode do you use on your corporate SSID  =  certificate
    - What WiFi standard do you broadcasting  =   wifi 6

regards

Victor Iziren

• 4.  RE: Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 01, 2020 05:44 PM
    Hi Victor,

In many cases 802.11ax (HE SSID) will be disabled because some popular client drivers have issues with backwards compatibility, like most Intel drivers from mid 2019 but also later on. Because client drivers are often the cause it's important to check if you have installed the latest drivers from the vendor.

You say you use certificated based authentication, is this computer or user certificates based? For testing purpose you should try to create a new SSID with a default WPA2-Personal key to see if your issue is authentication related.

What type of RADIUS server do you use? Can you check the authentication requests and check the event logs for authentications failures on the RADIUS server..

Your firmware level is 8.6.0.4 what can be updated to 8.6.0.6 what could have some related bugfixes. Check the release notes on this.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 5.  RE: Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

Posted Dec 02, 2020 03:41 AM
    Hi Marcel, 

Thanks. for the reply,
    I we initially had issues with version 8.6.0.6, which we changed to 8.6.0.4.  I can change it back to see if that will work.

Also, with respect to WPA2 personal key authentication, that works fine, just WPA2 - Enterprise.  

As for the Radius server, I am using a Vswitch.

I will take a look at the client device drivers to make sure it is up to date and no issue with wifi 6.

i'll get back to you after all these checks, and hopefully there will be a positive result.

thanks.

SirVic

• 6.  RE: Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

Posted Dec 02, 2020 04:02 AM
    Please check your machine authentication settings. you might need to add domain computer group to radius server to authenticate machines during bootup.

• 7.  RE: Client's laptops not connecting to wireless

Posted Dec 02, 2020 04:10 AM
    That has been done.  

Thanks NHN

SirVic