Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

how to Export Local Controller Database from controller

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  how to Export Local Controller Database from controller

Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:05 PM
    I am preparing to upgrade our Aruba Wireless system and I know how to export the configuration from the controllers; but, I wish to export a copy of the user database on each controller before the upgrade as well.

We have 2 x Local Controllers at each site.  We have all of the Local controllers managed by a Mobility Master; but, we do have sine SSCID's that require local user authentication.  That local user database is used for those Wireless Lans and they are not standard to every site.

I looked at the web page: Managing the Internal Database
    Arubanetworks remove preview
    Managing the Internal Database
    You can create entries in the controller's internal database to authenticate clients. The internal database contains a list of clients, along with the password and default role for each client. When you configure the internal database as an authentication server, client information is checked in incoming authentication requests against the internal database.
    View this on Arubanetworks >

But I was not able to export anything to mu local computer.  Is there a way to export the user database from a local controller?  Or must I simply copy the username information?

------------------------------
    Stavros K

• 2.  RE: how to Export Local Controller Database from controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:16 PM
    (controller1) #local-userdb export
    <filename> Name of the file

You would then use any method of file copy to export the database.  You can then copy it to another controller and do "local-userdb import <filename>".  Be forwarned that the import will erase all of the existing users on the destination controller.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: how to Export Local Controller Database from controller

Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:32 PM
    Is there any documentation how to export the file (with the local user database informatilon) from the local controller to a computer?

My question is how to find that file that I created that has the local user database information and how may I export a copy to a pc?

Where is the local user database information stored?  Where is the backup file that I created/named stored so I may export it somwhere (like to my computer)?

Stavros K

• 4.  RE: how to Export Local Controller Database from controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:39 PM
    The documentation is here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.7.1_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/auth-servers/mgng-inter-dbas.htm?Highlight=local-userdb

Here is an example:
    (controller1) *#local-userdb export thisismydatabase
    Successfully exported 0 users and 7 CPSec Whitelist 0 RAP whitelist entries from the Internal User Database to thisismydatabase

If I typed "dir" the database would show up as the file "thisismydatabase".  You can copy that file on and off the controller using ftp, tftp, scp, etc.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: how to Export Local Controller Database from controller

Posted Sep 13, 2021 03:31 PM
    OK,

If I create the backup copy from the local controller.  Then navigate to the local controller's web interface: Diagnistics - Technical Support - 'Copy FIles' Tab.  Then select 'Flash file system' from Select source file section.  Then select the 'File Name' from the drop down list that I wish to copy from the controller.

Then in the destination section choose TFTP and follow the onscreen-instructions to copy the file name to my PC.  CLick the Copy button when ready to download to the computer.

I was looking for instructions  specific instructions as what I typed above.

Stavros K

• 6.  RE: how to Export Local Controller Database from controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2021 03:47 PM
    Maybe this?  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.7.1_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/manage-utilities/copy-fla-fil-sys.htm?Highlight=copy%20files