Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Basic captive portal on ArubaOS 8.8.0.0 - am I missing something?

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Basic captive portal on ArubaOS 8.8.0.0 - am I missing something?

Posted Oct 18, 2021 01:54 PM

Hello,

We are trying to set up a basic captive portal setup from our 7205 Controller, it does not redirect, and it really doesn't even work unless I use the "allowall" policy.

This is a test environment - all we wish to do is have a captive portal with some terms and conditions and then the user accepts - and I cannot believe it is this difficult to do. At my old job, they had Aruba Instant and it was a breeze - here we use a 7205 with 215's and it is so clunky.

I've read the manual cover to cover, I've read all the guides - you would think that with just basic settings for a "guest" network with captive portal turned on, it would not be this difficult, but my predecessor could not get it to work either (didn't spend too much time) and now I see why.

There is no VLANing, because it is a test environment, the WLAN uses bridge mode - I can provide any other logs and information required, but we have followed the basic captive portal setup and cannot get it to function. The "allowall" policy DOES grant WAN access, just as a test, but still no portal re-direction.

If "allowall" is turned off and all settings are "default" for a Guest WLAN with captive portal, it redirects to http://msftconnectiontes.com/redirect and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,

Dave

------------------------------
    David Pullin

• 2.  RE: Basic captive portal on ArubaOS 8.8.0.0 - am I missing something?

MVP
    Posted Oct 18, 2021 03:06 PM
    First tip: bridge mode is not the default mode and makes thing slightly more difficult.
    Stay in default tunnel mode unless you have a reason not to.

Tunnel mode just builds a tunnel from the AP back to the controller and drops the user in the correct vlan at that controller as if the user was directly connected into the controller. This means you do not need specific vlans at the AP.

Explaining the possible setups with ArubaOS 8 would be alot of work so i would ocntact an Aruba partner to help you out; or, if you want to learn it yourself, check out the ArubaOS 8.9 series from Airheads Broadcasting on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arubaos+8.9

If you just want the damn portal config, see below. My lab currently has no controllers hence the (0).

To configure the users:

Koen V

• 3.  RE: Basic captive portal on ArubaOS 8.8.0.0 - am I missing something?

Posted Oct 26, 2021 01:23 PM

Hello,
    I tried this, but in tunnel mode I cannot get an IP from DHCP - I believe for our environment it needs to be on bridge to talk to our DHCP / DNS server. Maybe this is something that I can change down the line, but it is set up that way at the moment.

In bridge mode, I can get an IP, that works, I can even access internet by saying "use network as is", kind of bypassing sign-in. But it is impossible to get the portal re-direct page to show. It just redirects to http://msftconnecttest.com/redirect and nothing happens, we cannot get the portal page to open.

Any further help would be appreciated, I can't understand why the portal page will not open and why this is so difficult, when it should be easy to do a basic portal config ... 

Thanks,

Dave

David Pullin

• 4.  RE: Basic captive portal on ArubaOS 8.8.0.0 - am I missing something?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2021 09:27 AM
    The VLAN you use must have a dhcp server and the controller must have an ip address on that VLAN to bring up the captive portal.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.