Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

L2 Redundancy Mobility master not working

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  L2 Redundancy Mobility master not working

Posted Nov 12, 2021 10:54 AM

Im new to aruba wireless. I Installed two virtual mobility master 8.8 version . configured VRRP and L2 redundancy. but both primary and standby are MASTER. standby never come to BACKUP status. 
    Initially I did it without any license. then I added evaluation license..

may I know the reason.
    i can see in primary master GUI both MM. but when I click the Standby MM, it pop up message as below:

"aruba configuration for the standby controller must be done at the mobility controller group level"

Similarly, when enter show switches command in Primary Master MM I shows both MM. But the status of standby shows as "DOWN" and "UPDATE REQUIRED".

Configuration Steps are correct. Is there any thing im missing?

------------------------------
    jahesh p.k

• 2.  RE: L2 Redundancy Mobility master not working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2021 12:47 PM
    When you type "show vrrp statistics" is the ip address and VLAN configured for both MMs?  Do you have a preshared key on the VRRP that would prevent them from seeing each other?  Do you have an HSRP router that has the same VRRP instance?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: L2 Redundancy Mobility master not working

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 13, 2021 09:12 AM
    Have you been through the last two sections of this guide?

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_81_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/Redundancy_Parameters.htm

Like cjoseph said also, check that VRRP is not overlapping with another VRRP-ID or HSRP-ID in the mobility master VLAN. Also make sure your L2 is not blocked (spanning-tree or anything else) between the MMs. They need to see each other over L2 for VRRP to work.

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 4.  RE: L2 Redundancy Mobility master not working
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 13, 2021 09:28 AM

At last we found the issue.. the issue was really VRRP split brain.. we found it mainly because of  ESXi promiscous mode configuration issue, it was set as reject on both ESXi host.

we followed this this thread. and it worked for us.

Mobility Master VRRP Split Brain | Wireless Access (arubanetworks.com)

VRRP Issues - Promiscuous mode - VMMs AOS v8 | Wireless Access (arubanetworks.com)

jahesh p.k