Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Forbid iPad users to connect to internet

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Forbid iPad users to connect to internet

Posted Apr 26, 2021 11:10 AM
    I'm looking for the best solution to block users who are using old models of iPad (we have around 1000 iPads that no longer update, but want to continue using without internet). I don't want them to use any WLAN availlable (corporate and guest WLAN). We are currently using Clearpass Policy manager and Aruba WLC 8.5.0.9 (Mobility master). I am new to using Clearpass and looking for the easiest way to do it. Should I prefer to block the Mac addresses in the WLC. I am looking for advice. thank you so much

------------------------------
    Bernard Paquet

• 2.  RE: Forbid iPad users to connect to internet

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 26, 2021 11:26 AM
    Hi,
    not sure if this is an approved way of doing things now, but you can assign a "legacy" role to devces by looking for specific strings in a fingerprint and then use this "legacy' role in your enforcement policy.

e.g. if  you configure your mobility controller to send the  user-agent-string to clearpass you can use the attached to create an enforcement policy to drop old devices into another van  .. or wherever 

The example below can also be modified to detect old versions of OSX and iPAD firmware

A

• 3.  RE: Forbid iPad users to connect to internet

Posted Apr 26, 2021 02:57 PM
    Hi and thank you for your answer. Not sure exactly how to configure my mobility controller to send the  user-agent-string to clearpass

Bernard Paquet

• 4.  RE: Forbid iPad users to connect to internet

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 26, 2021 03:03 PM
    its a simple thing, there's a checkbox in one of the controller profiles . I'll have a look at work tomorrow. It'll be arubaos 6.5.x  but same thing applies for aruaos8
    A

Alex Sharaz

• 5.  RE: Forbid iPad users to connect to internet

Posted Apr 26, 2021 03:07 PM
    If you can log into Clearpass and see if these are currently leveraging Clearpass, you should be able to get more details about these devices.  Go into the Access Tracker in Clearpass (under Monitoring) and filter for the MAC address of one of these IPads.  You should be able to glean some information about it.  See if that works and report back.