Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Two IAP-305 in a cluster. - Configuration problem.

This thread has been viewed 52 times
  • 1.  Two IAP-305 in a cluster. - Configuration problem.

Posted Jan 21, 2022 04:07 PM
    Hello,

I've got two Aruba IAP-305. I would like to use them in a cluster. I've got a problem with configuring them. 
    Currently, they've got ArubaInstant_Ursa_8.9.0.1_82154 software. 
    The main problem is they are not able to turn on correctly after removing 'SetUpMe-*' SSID. When I reboot them after that they are going into a loop with "AP not allowed, turn off conductor election" information at logs. 
    When they are in the loop, I'm able to ssh them but CLI is in a degraded state. The web interface is working but does not accept any credentials. 
    It doesn't matter if I set up the IP of the virtual controller or not. Only factory reset to make them alive back. 

The steps which I making after factory reset:
    On the first AP which I would like to make a master one, I set up an IP, mask, GW at apboot>. After it boots, I chose a country region in WebUI, set Virtual controller IP, remove SetUpMe SSID, creating a new one. After reboot, the AP is in the loop. Virtual controller IP not responding. 

Should I Convert them to Stand Alone and connect using the 'mesh' option? Or is there any solution to control both from one console?

Thanks,
    Dave

------------------------------
    David Don

• 2.  RE: Two IAP-305 in a cluster. - Configuration problem.

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 21, 2022 04:15 PM
    Is your Virtual Controller IP in the same subnet as the AP?

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Two IAP-305 in a cluster. - Configuration problem.

Posted Jan 22, 2022 01:25 AM
    Yes,
    1st AP - 192.168.10.2
    2nd AP - 192.168.10.3
    VC - 192.168.10.10

David Don

• 4.  RE: Two IAP-305 in a cluster. - Configuration problem.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2022 05:49 PM
    you dont need to convert them to standalone, also i dont think you should delete the setme up SSID, if you add a new SSID it should automatically delete the setmeup SSID.
    I suggest to follow these steps and see.
    1. power off both the APs.
    2. factory reset one of them and power it on
    3. then setup the regulatory domain (country region) , NTP,
    4. add a test SSID
    5. wait for a while and you should not see the setmeup SSID anymore.
    6. factory reset the second AP and power it on and just wait
    7. the second AP should be added in the list of APs and you should see both of them in the WebUI

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Two IAP-305 in a cluster. - Configuration problem.

Posted Jan 24, 2022 09:43 AM

Hi,

If these are unified APs then they are Campus AP by default and you need to convert them using Convert to Instant Mode, IAPs. You convert them once booted by going to the Maintenance tab then selecting Convert to Instant Mode. I normally set the Preferred master option on the IAP I want to be master

You don't need to configure a virtual IP for them to work in a cluster. If you do make sure the IP address used isn't in use. I have seen this in the wild and it causes all sorts of funny issues.

Kris O²