Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Instant AP 315 show connected usernames to local CP

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Aruba Instant AP 315 show connected usernames to local CP

Posted Nov 24, 2021 04:10 PM
    Hello,

In our enterprise we provide guest Internet access throgh several Aruba IAP 315 APs with a local captive portal. When I log into the APs and issue this command on the cli:
    # show clients debug ----> I can only see the MACs of the devices and the hostname sent by the endpoint.

I need to know which users are connected at a given moment  among the users displayed by # show users command. Is there a way to know such information ?

Thanks,

Juan.​​​​

------------------------------
    Juan Gutiérrez Asensio

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 315 show connected usernames to local CP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2021 04:46 PM
    you should see the username displayed in Web UI and the CLI (show clients) if the users are authenticated with the local/external database either for dot1x/Guest captive portal

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 315 show connected usernames to local CP

Posted Nov 25, 2021 02:18 AM
    Hello,  the list of users on the Web UI won't tell if that user is actually logged in at a given moment, which is the information I want.

local-CP-user-DataBase

On the other hand using the CLI # show clients won't return the users of the local Data Base but the name given by the endpoint user-agent:

show-clients

In some cases the client's user agent will return the user of the local CP Data Base, but in most cases it will not. Just the device model. I need to correlate that information to the actual user of the CP Data Base which is logged in the wireless guest network at a given moment.

Thanks in advance.

Juan Gutiérrez Asensio

• 4.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 315 show connected usernames to local CP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2021 05:50 AM
    again look at my screenshots, you should see the username in your case operator19 in the clients section and CLI, if you are authenticating the user.
    in your screenshot of the CLI, none of the users are in "Guest" role which indicates that they are not using the captive portal.
    in my case the guest-test SSID is of type Guest 

and it is using internal authenticated splash page.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 315 show connected usernames to local CP

Posted Nov 25, 2021 08:33 AM
    Then users that appear with Role "Internal CP" may be simply associated to the  AP since at layer 2 it is Open but didn't actually introduce their credentials in the  CP, so they still appear when issuing command #show clients, but with "Internal CP role". Right ?​​

Juan Gutiérrez Asensio

• 6.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 315 show connected usernames to local CP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2021 04:38 PM
    yes thats correct, they can associate to the Guest SSID and just sit there without authenticating. But once they authenticate successfully, then you'll see their names.