Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Differences between Age time and association time of user

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 01:28 AM
    Hi,

May I know what is the differences between age time and association time of a wireless client?

------------------------------
    DarrenPJW

• 2.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2021 04:11 AM
    Please let us know where you are looking at these outputs, so that it can be explained.  Also, let us know what product you are referring to.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 05:02 AM
    Hi joseph, 

We are using Aruba MM with MC acting as cluster

Users
    -----
    IP MAC Name Role Age(d:h:m) Auth VPN link AP name Roaming Essid/Bssid/Phy Profile Forward mode Type Host Name User Type
    ---------- ------------ ------ ---- ---------- ---- -------- ------- ------- --------------- ------- ------------ ---- --------- ---------
    10.103.128.28 f6:c2:a8:05:bc:c6 0341657 i-Xcess 00:02:03 802.1x TLC-EGFAP-A09 Wireless i-Xcess/24:de:c6:65:a2:29/a-HT aaa-i-Xcess-CPPM tunnel iPhone

Association Table
    -----------------
    Name bssid mac auth assoc aid l-int essid vlan-id tunnel-id phy assoc. time num assoc Flags Band steer moves (T/S) phy_cap
    ---- ----- --- ---- ----- --- ----- ----- ------- --------- --- ----------- --------- ----- ---------------------- -------
    TLC-EGFAP-A09 24:de:c6:65:a2:29 f6:c2:a8:05:bc:c6 y y 1 20 i-Xcess 509 0x116b3 a-HT-20-2ss 1m:22s 1 WVAB 0/0 a-VHT-80sgi-2ss-V

As per above highlighted in bold, the age time and association time. What are both differences

DarrenPJW

• 4.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2021 07:46 AM
    Age would typically mean the time the client device has been on the system this current session.  Association would mean how long it has been on the current access point.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:24 PM
    Hi Joseph,

So if the client roamed to another AP, the association time will renew? 
    And if the client disconnect from the WiFi and reconnect back after 5 mins will the age time renew?

DarrenPJW

• 6.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:27 PM
    Yes to both.

Type "show ap association client-mac <mac address of client>" repeatedly while a client is roaming and observe the changes.

EDIT:
    To track more than one client at a time (a roaming test with multiple users), type:

show ap association | include <mac address1>,<mac address2>,<mac address3>

• 7.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 01:05 PM
    Hi Joseph,

Okay thank you very much!!

DarrenPJW

• 8.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Nov 16, 2022 02:33 PM
    Hi everyone,
    Sorry by reopen this post.

I'm seeing that same after the client be disconnected after 30min it still continue showing, see the evidence below. Is there some way to decrease this assic. time?

Association Table
    -----------------
    Name          bssid              mac                auth  assoc  aid  l-int  essid    vlan-id  tunnel-id  phy             assoc. time  num assoc  Flags  Band steer moves (T/S)
    ----          -----              ---                ----  -----  ---  -----  -----    -------  ---------  ---             -----------  ---------  -----  ----------------------
    AP1.1.27(BE)  24:de:c6:dd:3e:00  78:66:9d:a2:99:e7  y     y      19   1      Antares  400      0x10073    g-HT-20sgi-2ss  30m:58s      1          WA     0/0​

• 9.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 02:47 PM
    Is the user also still in the user table?
    What does the output of "show aaa timer" show?

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card