Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor and campus locations with Aruba access points, and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Differences between Age time and association time of user

Jump to Best Answer
This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 01:28 AM
    Hi,

May I know what is the differences between age time and association time of a wireless client?

------------------------------
    DarrenPJW

• 2.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 04:11 AM
    Please let us know where you are looking at these outputs, so that it can be explained.  Also, let us know what product you are referring to.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 05:02 AM
    Hi joseph, 

We are using Aruba MM with MC acting as cluster

Users
    -----
    IP MAC Name Role Age(d:h:m) Auth VPN link AP name Roaming Essid/Bssid/Phy Profile Forward mode Type Host Name User Type
    ---------- ------------ ------ ---- ---------- ---- -------- ------- ------- --------------- ------- ------------ ---- --------- ---------
    10.103.128.28 f6:c2:a8:05:bc:c6 0341657 i-Xcess 00:02:03 802.1x TLC-EGFAP-A09 Wireless i-Xcess/24:de:c6:65:a2:29/a-HT aaa-i-Xcess-CPPM tunnel iPhone

Association Table
    -----------------
    Name bssid mac auth assoc aid l-int essid vlan-id tunnel-id phy assoc. time num assoc Flags Band steer moves (T/S) phy_cap
    ---- ----- --- ---- ----- --- ----- ----- ------- --------- --- ----------- --------- ----- ---------------------- -------
    TLC-EGFAP-A09 24:de:c6:65:a2:29 f6:c2:a8:05:bc:c6 y y 1 20 i-Xcess 509 0x116b3 a-HT-20-2ss 1m:22s 1 WVAB 0/0 a-VHT-80sgi-2ss-V

As per above highlighted in bold, the age time and association time. What are both differences

DarrenPJW

• 4.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 13, 2021 07:46 AM
    Age would typically mean the time the client device has been on the system this current session.  Association would mean how long it has been on the current access point.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:24 PM
    Hi Joseph,

So if the client roamed to another AP, the association time will renew? 
    And if the client disconnect from the WiFi and reconnect back after 5 mins will the age time renew?

DarrenPJW

• 6.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 12:27 PM
    Yes to both.

Type "show ap association client-mac <mac address of client>" repeatedly while a client is roaming and observe the changes.

EDIT:
    To track more than one client at a time (a roaming test with multiple users), type:

show ap association | include <mac address1>,<mac address2>,<mac address3>

• 7.  RE: Differences between Age time and association time of user

Posted Sep 13, 2021 01:05 PM
    Hi Joseph,

Okay thank you very much!!

DarrenPJW