Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

Posted Nov 23, 2021 10:53 AM

Hi,

Currently our company is looking at expanding wifi coverage for not just the front of the store, but also the back of the store as well, where there typically has been low wifi coverage. It was brought up that the coolers/freezers needed wifi coverage as well, but they are quite small (~300-400sqft) so I was wondering, is it possible to use a single 514 and place one antenna in each cooler? This way we wouldn't need to buy 1 AP per cooler/freezer.  

Thanks! 

------------------------------
    Preston Wu

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

Posted Nov 23, 2021 11:25 AM
    Preston,
    I don't recommend splitting antennas like you mention. You'll just be too likely to get yourself into trouble. However, if it is the only option available to you, I would recommend using an AP like the AP-518, AP-318, or AP-228 where it splits the antenna connectors for each radio (separate for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). Doing this, you would put a 2.4 antenna in one freezer and a 5 in the other freezer. Keep your distances as short as possible because coax cable loss can be very significant. If you choose an ax capable AP, I would also turn of the HE features in the AP profiles so it doesn't try to use both radios at the same time for a particular client. Hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Brad

Brad

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2021 02:29 PM
    That will not work. Those antennas are MIMO elements for a single 2x2 radio. Antenna coverage areas should be overlapping (actually, ideally they should be identical) for MIMO performance. These are not two separate radios.

Onno Harms

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

Posted Nov 23, 2021 02:32 PM
    Preston, how many coolers/freezers are you trying to cover?  

--

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

Posted Nov 23, 2021 03:17 PM
    We're trying to cover around 6-10 per store with around 30 stores to do.

Preston Wu

• 6.  RE: Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

Posted Nov 23, 2021 03:39 PM
    Well, that is a lot.  My only suggestion is to use AP504's which should be a bit cheaper.  Is every cooler pretty much a sealed RF environment?  It looks like all the AP500 series have an operating temperature range of 0 to 50C/32 to 122F, so you could probably install these directly in the coolers, but not the freezers.  Tough problem to have.

• 7.  RE: Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

Posted Nov 23, 2021 03:43 PM
    Yeah all are basically sealed RF, as soon as the door is closed the signal dies. Our current plan is 515's outside and in above zero coolers and 365's in the freezers.

Was hoping to try to see if there was a cheaper solution, as management is in shock at the price tag 🤣

Preston Wu

• 8.  RE: Aruba AP-514 Antenna Question

Posted Nov 23, 2021 03:46 PM
    I meant to differentiate between the 504's and the 505's.  The 505's don't need external antennas and might work in the coolers.  They are basically the same AP except for the antenna configuration.

--