Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP Failover between DCs

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  RAP Failover between DCs

Posted Dec 30, 2021 07:55 AM
    Hello Folks, 

Want to confirm a RAP design. 
    I have RAPs and I want to terminate them in a MD located in DC01, in case of a WAN issue @ DC01, the RAPs should terminate in a second MD located in DC02.
    I found I useful link "Backup Managed Device List" Which explains how this can be, and this is what i m planning to setup
    1- DNS entry with hostname lookup  PublicIP for DC01 and PublicIP for DC02 
    2- RAP will use PublicIP-DC01 to terminate IPSEC and get the configuration from MD (located behind a firewall /UDP4500 forwarded)
    3- In case PublicIP-DC01 isn't reachable, the RAP will terminate the IPSEC tunnel to PublicIP-DC02 and get configuration from another MD (located behind a firewall /UDP4500 forwarded)

My question here is once PublicIP-DC01 becomes reachable, how RAP will fail back to DC01?

• 2.  RE: RAP Failover between DCs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2021 03:00 PM
    By default, it will not fail back when DC01 becomes reachable.  If it loses connectivity with DC02, it will reboot and start back at step#1

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: RAP Failover between DCs

Posted Dec 30, 2021 03:52 PM
    Thank you, Joseph, 
    One more thing, I have DC01 in Europe and DC02  in US, and my RAPs are RW, 
    in case RAP failover to MD located in US, does RF regulatory domain will remain compliant inside Europe ?

• 4.  RE: RAP Failover between DCs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2021 07:10 PM
    As a rule, I would not cross regulatory domains (US vs. ROW) between primary and failover controllers. To be clear, do not have a remote AP in a ROW nation fail over to a US Controller.

A U.S. Controller cannot set a non-U.S. Regulatory domain profile.  If you set the regulatory domain to U.S. and try to mimic the channels of the originating country of the AP, the  transmit power limits would probably violate laws in the home country of the AP.  It is not worth setting up a system that you depend on, and then getting into trouble later.

I am not an attorney and I am not speaking on behalf of the company.  I am just advising you how to stay out of regulatory trouble.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: RAP Failover between DCs

Posted Jan 04, 2022 02:35 AM
    Hi Folks,

We have controller Aruba 7210 with some AP 325 and AP 225.
    Some users closer to AP 225 always connect to AP 325.
    It makes AP 325 full and AP 225 idle.
    How to config this configuration in Controller 7210.

Idham Khaidir

• 6.  RE: RAP Failover between DCs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2022 07:00 AM
    Please start a new thread.  This is unrelated to the topic.