Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

This thread has been viewed 60 times
  • 1.  Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

Posted Sep 15, 2021 06:36 AM
    Hi @ all

we migrated all of our 70 local controlers to our new Mobility Conductor environment.
    Soon customers tells us about poor coverage.
    So we checked rf settings and see that there are new channels and default values in 8.6 so we adapt settings like there was in 6.5 bevause in 6.5. all was working fine.
    But coverage was not better after changes.

Further problems are with config syncing.
    Several times config are not synced to all controllers no matter if there is "update successful" state. Show conf effective and show run on controller differs.
    TAC only does wcm-debug full config sync and does not find real reason for this.

For us it would be best to roll back to 6.5 but we now have AP-505 and 535  so we cannot roll back. 

Does anyone have similar experience?
    Is version 8.5 more stable?

------------------------------
    Florian Kueck

• 2.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2021 07:28 AM
    What channels and power levels do the APs get after the migration?
    What is the 6.5 version you migrated from? For some APs, depending on the regulatory domain, there have been changes in the power that is allowed to be transmitted between versions. I don't know what exact versions, APs, regulatory. That could result in having reduced coverage after an upgrade.

I would not expect worse results with 8.6 versus 8.5, except that 8.5 is end-of-support and you probably don't want to deploy that. Make sure you are at the most recent 8.6.0.x version, if you aren't yet. What 8.6 version did you upgrade to?

Do you see the issue only with the existing APs (what type of APs are those)? Or also on the 5xx-series?

Have you checked the wireless coverage? Sometimes users start complaining about something that was an issue before, but only noticed after you mention that you changed something.

Ask TAC to escalate the issue if you don't get a proper answer or good explanation.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

Posted Sep 30, 2021 07:57 AM
    Hi,
    We are experiencing similar loss of coverage since we have migrated our 7210 Controleur from 6 to 8.
    We have 300 APs ( AP103, AP205, AP515).
    We have tried to increase EIRP but it change nothing.
    Have you found a solution ?
    Marc

marc boisis

• 4.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 30, 2021 08:55 AM
    What did you increase the minimum TX from and To?  If you are using an MM, the Minimum TX in 8.x is in the radio profile, where in 6.x it was in the ARM profile.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

Posted Sep 30, 2021 09:43 AM
    I try this:
    RF Management/2.4GHZ radio/default : Min EIRP 10, Max EIRP 16

In 6.X I had : rf arm-profile "default-g"
    max-tx-power 18
    min-tx-power 12
    free-channel-index 40
    cm-band-g-max-signal 10
    cm-sticky-min-signal 75
    cm-steer-timeout 3
    cm-stale-age 600
    cm-max-steer-fails 3
    cm-lb-client-thresh 50
    cm-lb-snr-thresh 20

marc boisis

• 6.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 30, 2021 09:57 AM
    the Min EIRP should be 12 (higher than 6.x).  Also, if you change that number in the radio profile, the power will only change at 5am in the morning, unless you do "airmatch runnow eirp" on the MM.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

Posted Oct 18, 2021 08:29 AM
    So sorry I totally forgot this post.

So our problem is still there. We checked with local SE and did not find any solution.
    Thanks cjoseph for the suggestion. We had configured min eirp 10 too, so I changed it today. I will have customer to check this.

What about 5ghz networks?
    At the moment we have min 18 and max 27.

Florian Kueck

• 8.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2021 08:51 AM
    When the customer says "poor coverage", what does that mean?  Do they have a client that is seeing low bars?  What areas do they see low coverage.  They should run inssider or wifi explorer in that area.  Also, do a "show ap arm state ap-name <name of ap in that area>" to see how many other APs it can see to get an idea of the coverage.

• 9.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

MVP
    Posted Oct 29, 2021 09:01 AM
    We have a similar issue since migrating from 6.5 to 8.7. Coverage is much lower. Our 2.4GHz Min EIRP = 6 and Max = 12. For 5GHz, Min EIRP = 15 and Max = 21.

Also 2.4Ghz Min and Max channel bandwidth currently set to 20 and 20. 5Ghz currently set to 20 and 40. What are the recommended settings for these values?

What are the recommended defaults for these radios in OS 8?

Nathan Kuhl

• 10.  RE: Problems after Upgrade from 6.5 to 8.6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2021 12:38 PM
    Those settings are individual for your environment.  If you think the power is too low, you should raise the minimum transmit power.  The range between minimum and maximum should not be more than 6 on a radio., However.