Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

FIPS

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  FIPS

Posted Apr 19, 2021 12:58 PM
    Hi - looking to upgrade virtual MM to 8.4 but Im unsure which version to use and do I need FIPS? How do I tell if im using FIPS?

------------------------------
    Darren Blake

• 2.  RE: FIPS

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 19, 2021 03:10 PM
    Hi Darren,

The Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) are standards for how certain information should be recorded in computerized systems. The standards are developed and published by the United States federal government and are intended for use by federal government agencies and government contractors.

Please note that 8.4.x.x is end of general support since december 2019, link.

Best to upgrade to the latest "conservative release" which is 8.5.0.12 at the moment. Only when there is need for hardware or feature support in a newer major release than 8.5.x.x you can consider a later release 8.6.x.x, 8.7.x.x or 8.8.x.x. But generally we could say to stay at the latest conservative release as long you can.

Hope this helps...

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 3.  RE: FIPS

Posted Apr 20, 2021 04:36 AM
    But how can I tell if I need a FIPS version?

Darren Blake

• 4.  RE: FIPS

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 20, 2021 04:41 AM
    If your not a federal customer in the US you should not use FIPS.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 5.  RE: FIPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2021 06:23 AM
    More generally, if you don't know if you need to use FIPS: you don't.
    If you are not sure: don't.

It is not just for US Federal Customers as other governments worldwide as well as finance customers may require FIPS standards operations, but you will know if you need to use FIPS. In all other cases: use the standard non-FIPS firmware or operations.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.