Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

LMS-IP The Same as Controller-IP?

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  LMS-IP The Same as Controller-IP?

MVP
    Posted May 24, 2021 08:43 PM
    Hi all, 

I think this is a simple question - when you define the controller ipv4 address as a specific VLAN interface, does that have to be the same IP as the LMS-IP in the AP system profile? For example, I'm migrating a pair of controllers from a legacy network to a new network and have both IP interfaces on the controllers. Currently, the controller-ip and lms-ip are the legacy ones. If i modify the controller-ip to the new interface and reload the controller, will that impact the APs communication? They're setup as HA right now, not a cluster.

My goal is to update the controller-ip to the new network interface, followed by building a cluster using the new network and finally clearing the LMS-IP out of the AP system profiles. Eventually phasing out the legacy network all together.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Michael Haring

AirHeads MVP 2017, 2019-2021

• 2.  RE: LMS-IP The Same as Controller-IP?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 25, 2021 03:39 AM
    It does not have to be the same IP, the LMS IP is used to inform the AP which is the responsible controller/VLAN for terminating its user traffic. I have seen working configuration where the controller-ip is not defined as the LMS IP in the AP System Profile but instead the LMS/BLMS is a different VLAN interface which has been used as LACP GRE Striping...and it worked :)

Craig Syme