Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Client roams to a different AP and is offline for ~45 seconds

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Client roams to a different AP and is offline for ~45 seconds

Posted May 18, 2022 11:57 AM
    While on a Zoom call today with video and audio coming from a user, they got up and moved from one room to another.  During this time their video and audio stopped being sent from the client laptop, then returned.

I checked the client trail info and found they had moved to a different AP.  Knowing the office environment and where they went, they were literally standing underneath another access point.  I'm trying to figure out how this drop occurred (there are many others like it, some say it happens when they are not moving at all) but not having much luck with user-debug logs.

802.11r/k/v are all turned on, as are OKC/PMKID.  Signal strength is good.  Client is a Macbook Pro running the latest software updates (our organization pushes them as soon as they come out).

I'm not a wireless expert by any means, just enough to know how to configure and check basic status of client health.

How can I go about troubleshooting this?

------------------------------
    patrick walton

• 2.  RE: Client roams to a different AP and is offline for ~45 seconds

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 18, 2022 12:19 PM
    What base version of macOS ? Think you need. 12.x for some of the 11.r….. stuff to work
    Did see an Apple doc detailing what Mavis supported in the different releases
    Rgds
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Client roams to a different AP and is offline for ~45 seconds

Posted May 20, 2022 12:52 PM
    I did verify it is running at least 12.3.4 and possibly 12.4 right now.  I've seen that some of the older Macbooks don't seem to play nice with 802.11r/k/v but these are newer (less than 2 years old).

patrick walton

• 4.  RE: Client roams to a different AP and is offline for ~45 seconds

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 18, 2022 12:20 PM
    Look here 

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Client roams to a different AP and is offline for ~45 seconds

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2022 01:37 PM
    I would open a technical support case.  There could be something in your environment that could be causing it, or possibly the configuration, or even a bug.  They will try to help you narrow it down.

With that being said, macs do not support OKC.  If you have airwave, I would look at the Clarity section for that client to see the roams and how many ms it takes.  For smooth roaming, the client would have had to have been associated to the access point previously.  802.11r would help here, but TAC would be able to see if you have it configured properly.  The command "show auth-tracebuf mac <mac address of client>" should detail all of the interactions, but it rolls fairly quickly in a busy network.  Airwave in the Clarity section for that client probably offers you the best view of historical issues:

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 6.  RE: Client roams to a different AP and is offline for ~45 seconds

Posted May 20, 2022 12:53 PM
    So I think the issue we had here was that the radios were operating in 1x1 restricted power mode.  I found that all the AP's in this particular area had the lowercase "r" flag in

show ap database

Upon checking things out the LLDP protocol on the switch was turned off, which did not allow the AP's to request power properly.  Once this was turned on things improved.

patrick walton