Location Services

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba APs for Indoor Navigation

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Aruba APs for Indoor Navigation

Posted Jul 13, 2020 11:49 AM

We have an indoor Navigation SDK with 3D Maps which can work with Aruba beacons also provided that they are transmitting data using ibeacon format.

Now, we have Aruba APs which supports BLE, so I want to understand how can we integrate  with our system?

Should I consider Aruba APs as a beacon which transmits ibeacon and use it (after changing BLE parameters according to system requirment) or do it need some special configuration? 

What other ways in which I can utilize Aruba APs in our existing indoor Navigation SDK?

• 2.  RE: Aruba APs for Indoor Navigation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2020 04:35 AM

You can use the AP beacon for the same purposes as battery beacons, so proximity or location beacons. Just take into account that you typically can (or will) not easily position or move your APs for BLE accuracy.

With battery operated beacons it's much easier to place them at the best position for location.

In addition, you can use the AP beacon for beacon management when connected to Meridian. You will get battery status and 'last heard' information in the Meridian dashboard and can even do some updates to power levels for proximity beacons remotely.

Because the battery beacons and AP beacons have different properties, like in where they are mounted, antenna patterns, it's in general not recommended to mix AP and battery beacons in the same area.

Your local Aruba Sales team or Aruba SE can help you to get your questions answered and prepare a good design.

• 3.  RE: Aruba APs for Indoor Navigation

Posted Jul 14, 2020 05:05 AM

Thanks for detailed information.

How can I use other company beacons with Aruba APs?

Is there any possibility of integrating Meridian cloud with 3rd Party Navigation SDK?

Like If we already have beacons and Indoor Navigation deployed in a venue, Can I install Aruba APs over there and send beacons and navigation data (location, region notifications etc ) to Meridian cloud, then on Meridian cloud we should be able to see beacon health and location analytics on 

• 4.  RE: Aruba APs for Indoor Navigation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2020 05:52 AM

I'm not aware of other beacons that can be managed through Aruba APs. You or your Beacon/SDK vendor could have a look at the IoT gateway in recent Aruba firmware (8.6 and up). Documentation on this feature is here: https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;search=IoT

The Meridian SDK provides full indoor navigation and mapping features, so there might be overlap with other SDKs.

Aruba has multiple Technology partners who have services based on or integrated with Meridian. The Technology Partner page is a good start and if your vendor is not on there, they can have a look if it is worth to start partnering.

• 5.  RE: Aruba APs for Indoor Navigation

Posted Nov 27, 2020 11:15 PM

I'm using aruba at work using IAP's with a central subscription. Being the techy person I am I also wanted to swap out my home wifi for Aruba. Helps me to learn and get more antiquated to the solution.

I noticed the IAP's are a lot more costly than the controller based AP's in the used market. I don't have any experience with aruba controllers. Is it cost effective to get one so I can run some of the controller based models? Is there a subscription etc? I need 4 AP's

MyAARPMedicare

------------------------------
    Deja Wiegand
    ------------------------------