Aruba Apps

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Problems with adding HPE 1820 (J9983A) switch to my Airwave setup

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  Problems with adding HPE 1820 (J9983A) switch to my Airwave setup

Posted Apr 15, 2021 10:52 AM

Hello,

so I have an Airwave setup on my server with several Aruba switches added. There was absolutely no problem with adding them.

As I wanted to add the only two HP switches we have (J9983A) I've run into some difficulties.

On my switch side the SNMP protocol is enabled with community string added, firmware is the latest one as I updated it yesterday.
    In Airwave I added the HP switch under "Device setup" > "Add" as a HPE OfficeConnect Switch with every possible credential filled in. If I understand correctly, Community string is the same thing as a Community name in HP GUI. Also is the SSH/Telnet option the same as my login credentials to HP switch GUI?

Now, the switch is showing up down with an error fetching current configuration.

I was wondering if the problem is in my switch setup or if i'm just adding it as a wrong device?

In the HP GUI the only two SNMP options are enabling the protocol or changing the Community name. Is there a way to change the protocol version etc. since Airwave only support SNMP v2c?

Thank you for any advice.

• 2.  RE: Problems with adding HPE 1820 (J9983A) switch to my Airwave setup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2021 12:11 AM
    Hi DB21,

I would get in contact with support to get this figured out. 

What I can think of is, that the config is not readable by AirWave, as the 1820 switches do not have a text-based config. If you use the WEB UI to download the config you will not be able to read the content of the config. 
    The config is a binary file and I think AirWave is not able to work with this type of file. 

BR
    Florian

------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 3.  RE: Problems with adding HPE 1820 (J9983A) switch to my Airwave setup

Posted Apr 20, 2021 05:45 AM
    Then why is this model mentioned in a document "Airwave supported infrastructure devices"?

I can add this device as an Universal networking device but that would loose it's purpose.

I'l try to ask the support tho, thanks.

• 4.  RE: Problems with adding HPE 1820 (J9983A) switch to my Airwave setup
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2021 03:17 PM
    Hi DB21,

even if my assumption above is correct, from my point of view, the device should at least be shown as up and some basic monitoring using SNMP should be possible. 
    TAC should be able to help you. 

BR
    Florian

Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de