Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bandwidth restrictions on guest enforced on controller or AP?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Bandwidth restrictions on guest enforced on controller or AP?

Posted Jul 24, 2017 07:37 AM

I have a site with a main building and 3 sub buildings. These sub buildings have a leased line towards the main building and only have a limited amount of bandwidth available.

I want to enforce a bandwidth limit on the guest network, but this will only have benefit if the bandwidth limit is enforced on the AP itself. So the question is, is my bandwidth limit enforced on the AP or on the controller? 

I am using a 7005 controller with AP205.

• 2.  RE: Bandwidth restrictions on guest enforced on controller or AP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2017 07:42 AM

It is enforced at the controller, but if traffic is enforcd at the controller, it will restrict higher bandwidth at the site, as well...

• 3.  RE: Bandwidth restrictions on guest enforced on controller or AP?

Posted Jul 24, 2017 07:58 AM

Hi Joseph,

Agreed, at the main site it will also restrict bandwidth, but that's not a problem.

Is there another way around this, using the existing equipment, to enforce a bandwidth limit on the AP? 

• 4.  RE: Bandwidth restrictions on guest enforced on controller or AP?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2017 08:15 AM

If you would need to restrict bandwidth at a site, you should use Instant at that site, instead.  There is no way to do this with a controller-based solution.