Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

Posted Dec 23, 2017 05:24 PM

I have a brand new Netgear GS510TLP POE GB switch that supports both SNMP v2/v3.  I have defined the switch's community string to be the standard "public" - which matches how AW is configured for this device.  But I can't get AW to successfully audit it.  I used Microsoft's Port Query tool and ran a query on the switch's IP and got the following results shown in first screen shot below - which suggest SNMP is enabled on switch.  The 2nd image is from AW's APs/Devices->Manage screen, showing the failed fetch.  Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?  Obviously SNMP is enabled on switch, on port 161.  So what's missing?   TIA - Mike

PortQry.jpg

AW-Manage.jpg

• 2.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

Posted Dec 29, 2017 01:28 PM

No replies yet - I guess it's the holidays... Enjoy!

• 3.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

Posted Dec 31, 2017 05:00 AM
      |   view attached

Looks like this switch is not supported by Airwave for management. Please refer to the attached document listing devices supported by Airwave 8.2.5 for management (configuration management).

You can continue to monitor this switch via SNMP but you won't be able to manage its configuration.

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

Posted Jan 04, 2018 07:51 PM

I'm not trying to manage it.  Just want to monitor it.  But it fails the audit process (see initial post)

Thanks

• 5.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2018 09:27 AM

Try this:

create a new group "netgear"

in group basic -> set audit config on devices = no

move the netgear switch into that group

from ap/devices list -> click the pencil in the top right of the device list table, check the netgear switch, default action should be 'choose group/folder' under device actions, select the new group, then move.  don't use apply all since that would apply the change action to everything in the list table.

then try to 'poll now' from the device's monitoring page

• 6.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

Posted Jan 05, 2018 09:42 AM

Hmmm, doesn't Poll Now imply just a basic ping?  I'd prefer SNMP auditing of this switch.  I don't need to manage it, just gather audit data...  Or is what you suggested going to use SNMP polling?

• 7.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2018 10:05 AM

Configuration audit relies on SSH/Telnet access.  If you only configure SNMP, then you'll not be able to pull the config.  Config audit will login to the switch, do a show run, then log out.  We then capture and save the current running config and compare against what AirWave thinks should be the config (for switches, this is done either by template or switch config view as designated in the group basic settings and based on if there's specific support for the switch type).

You'll notice that for a group that disables auditing, the 'audit' tab is replaced by a compliance tab.  My suggestion was that if it's just switch port monitoring that you're looking for, then we can skip the auditing portion.

You also want to make sure that the group basic tab is set to use the proper SNMP version for the device type you're using.  The device is marked down if 1) can't ping, 2) can't snmp walk.

• 8.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

Posted Jan 05, 2018 10:42 AM

Thanks for the details Rob. Are there any articles or docs that explain things like this?  I guess I was under the mistaken impression that SNMP polling gathered all the useful details, like switch traffic data.  I thought the non SNMP polling simply did a ping to check for presence of device.  But it sounds like you're saying it can actually pull data from the switch?  You mentioned AW logs into the device - so I guess I have to define each switches admin web GUI login credentials somewhere?  I was thinking it got all the details using a SNMP poll which only needs to know the "community " name, which is usually "public"...  I guess I have a lot to learn :)

• 9.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2018 11:28 AM

There used to be a detailed table in the supported devices list, but that table got big and cumbersome over time and was removed at some point.

We don't use the devices GUI login, only the SSH/Telnet creds (these are set in the device's manage page) to run the show config or show running-config cmd - essentially a text flat file that shows the configuration.  The SNMP polling is used to get interface data (pretty much data counters maintained by the device) and then we translate that data into rates over time.

• 10.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

Posted Jan 11, 2018 05:44 PM

I'm not that interested in seeing device's config (I can easily remote into any client's devices).  Rather, I'm really only interested in data stats - so looks like SNMP polling has to be working for those stats, right?  It's been some time since I reviewed this post, as I just finished moving (always fun).  I'm hoping there's a way to figure out why AW fails to do SNMP polls on this Netgear switch?

Thanks,

Mike

• 11.  RE: AW 8.2.5: Unable to audit Netgear GS510TLP POE switch using SNMP v2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2018 02:18 PM

I think a good next step would be to open a support case.  The support team should be able to see what happens from the AirWave server when the SNMP communication is attempted.